Should I keep taking PSM jobs in theses cases?

It seems that every time I help a project out with production audio, it does not go well. Usually because the locations are very non-ideal. Too much reverb, echo, or too much noise, etc. And the thing is, is that everytime I agree to a project, the director never really takes me to the location beforehand, or does he rehearse any of the acting or blocking with me. I never get invites to rehearsal dates, and am always called to show up on the shoot day, not knowing what the place is.

This has happened with four projects now. I want to do this to gain experience, but it always looks bad on me. I am not blaming them since I am just learning and do not know better than them. But as a learner, how do I get on sets and gain experience without failing them? I guess I can't but I feel it's risky when trying to get out there and get known and make connections with actors, crew, etc.

But as a learner, how do I get on sets and gain experience without failing them?

Learn WTF you're supposed to do.
Learn to problem solve.
Learn to focus on your job.

Outside that, learn to keep your mouth shut. if it has nothing to do with you, STFU.

On top of that, learn what projects to avoid. There are projects where the people just don't care about sound until it's crap in post production, others who just don't care if the sound is crap and don't know either way. You want to get your skills to a point where you're getting on projects that are still amateur, but more professional than just a few mates trying to make a movie.

You really need to work out what you want to do. Before it was directing and acting. Then it's writing, now it's recording audio.

Some people can do that, you tough, are a slow learner. Are you sure you want to split your focus?

Well I have been told before that I should get on sets for experience, that is what I am doing with my audio. That's a means to get on set and learn. I do not want to make that my main focus. That is still acting and directing. But I want to get on sets, learn and make connections as well. I also have to write my own scripts, which I do not mind at all, cause when starting out, it helps to where more than one hat. But a lot of aspiring directors, write as well, so I think I can pursue both.

This current project has actors in who have been on TV, they are trying to make a TV pilot, so of course, I would like to make a good impression. That last TV pilot I recorded audio for a couple of years ago, I did well enough on that it got aired, so I felt I could do it, but since I am kept out of the pre-production and rehearsal loop on this one, when it comes to blocking and locations, is their anything else I can do to be more prepared?

Last edited:
But a lot of aspiring directors, write as well

But you're the legendary h44. You're having severe troubles writing. You cannot get your head around simple basics when it comes to writing. I think most of it comes down to your lack of problem solving skills.

is their anything else I can do to be more prepared?

You need to learn your fucking job. Simply stated. Learn to be able to do the job you're taking on.

A PSM is a department head. It's no small job. There is a level of responsibility and a level of implied ability. I keep on hearing the same stories from you. "I have a problem with their camera work." "Are you a part of the camera department?" "No, I'm sound." Then later on we find out you did such a shit job at the sound. While you may not have done a perfect job if you focused on your job, I'm sure it'd be better than if you were trying to do someone elses job.

If you haven't done some training in being a PSM, go do some.

No excuses. Get the job done.

Videvo, This one ain't aimed at you. It's aimed at H44 and sums it up pretty well:

I%27m%2BNot%2Ban%2BAsshole.jpg

I applied to be a boom op originally but everytime I have applied for that job, they want me to be PSM as well. I guess it's commonly expected for a boom op to take on both jobs, when applying. I will do by my best, and solve problems as best I can, under the location conditions given to me.

Back