• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Why Indie authors talk about Sellfy?

Hey Folks,

My name is Nauris and I am a community man at Sellfy.
We have number of filmmakers selling via our service and I hear lots of good feedback.

Now I want to take a step back and ask your feedback in terms of what other features would you guys need?

Here is what we have:
FREE Storage up to 2GB
Powerful Analytics (track views, sales, source of traffic and more)
Encourage your viewers to spread the word on social media by providing discounts for sharing on social networks (helps videos go viral)
Product Embed button
Include your sellfy product link directly in YouTube videos
Our own marketplace

* Sellfy is no subscription fees.. all these features are FREE. We charge only 5% from every sale.

Hit me up with any questions, I’ll be hanging out in this thread for the rest of the day.

Lets assume I don't want to spend time working out what you are (since I feel it's the responsibility of the seller to at least explain to the potential customer what they do) so....

What is Sellfy?

Sorry for the lack of information, my bad =)
I'm a team member at Sellfy, we help creators to sell digital content and lately see a great interest from video creators and I'm thinking how/what to develop further.

Can you give me some insights on what are the most important features we are still missing? thanks in advance

It's fairly hard to understand your business (or at least the features) from looking at your website. It may be there, I just cannot quickly find it.

5% fee is great. There was one guy who pitched me a site that had exactly this price. I never saw his site come to fruition.

It's a really low price, so I'm assuming you're not in the market to do any traffic driving?

Information about who's responsible for transaction costs.
I see that you are selling multiple products, though I don't know how set up you are to digital video yet. One thing I cannot see is if you're set up for viewers to consume content on multiple platforms.

There are a few features I'd like to see, though I'm not sure if you already offer it.

A). Customer data. The actual details of the customer. Not their credit card number, but their email address, physical address (if supplied) etc. Being also able to sort through that data will really help. There's a huge issue with VOD sites not supplying customer data. Film makers these days need to build an audience so they can leverage that audience for future films and/or merchandising. At a dead minimum the ability to contact previous clients through your service in a simple, time effective method. Eg. Building of mailing lists, perhaps even allowing those who aren't buyers, but punters to join the list for future productions etc.

B). An affiliate option. There's only one VOD seller that I've seen that has any affiliate infrastructure though they lock in the affiliate percentage rate. I think the next marketing frontier for films is allowing the filmmaker to build up an affiliate network and allow the affiliate to split some of the revenue. This would be a negotiated rate, otherwise some deals will simply fall over. This is what I'm really looking for.

C). The ability to buy from a filmmakers (or affiliates) website (or Facebook page) without needing to refer a client to your site.

There are other ideas that I've seen that aren't horrible:
Integration with crowd funding.
Merchandising (physical product support).

Is that the kind of feedback you're looking for?

Thanks for prompt feedback, love it!

1) Yes, we do provide you the customer details + we have build email messaging inside so you can shoot a message, new video announcement to all your customers after you launch it.
2) Affiliate option is not that simple to execute well, but we have it in our pipeline, thanks!
3) Sellfy is very well integrated with social media or websites - you can add widget on your own site or even use our Facebook store widget to sell on FB.

Love your feedback and we will note down some of the things you have mentioned!

also here are some general features: https://sellfy.com/sell-video/

I know sellfy. I will have a film coming out, hopefully in the next two to three months. I was researching companies like yours a couple of months ago. I mentally settled on gumroad.

Why do you have a 2gb limit?
Are most filmmakers really using more than 2GB? If you're going to have a limit, make it at least 5. If you want to charge filmmakers for higher usage, it's understandable. But do it when they actually need the space, like when their first film is a success, and they want to put a second film up, and so now you get to charge them. It's a bit off putting.

I also like the fact that gumroad allows you the 'pay any price' including $0 option. That's pretty attractive.

Cheers.

@trueindie

you are right about that, actually it is 2GB per file and you can use unlimited number of files videos or any files really. My apologies for miscommunication.

Plus we also support PayPal services comparing to others similar service providers =)

Also, I wish you good luck on launching your movie.
p.s. Ping me when you are ready to launch and we can work on a special offer for you. Also I can walk you thru the features in detail.

Cheers,
Nauris

Last edited:
On a side note... I actually support this site. My friend (and fellow film student) uses Sellfy to sell Call of Duty gameplay templates and makes at least a hundred a month, with a few months doubling that amount.

I could see this being a great way to make some side cash. Plan on using it to sell my PhotoShop Actions, LUTs, and CC Layers.

@SkyCopeland Thanks! You are right about that! We have quite big designer community too, selling everything from Actions, Templates, Themes and more..

ping me if you have any questions of if you need any help. Let me know if you upload anything and i will get your work featured.

Cheers,
Nauris

Nice to see someone trying this out with an infrastructure already in place. I've run into your site before, but I'll especially keep it in mind now that you're mentioning filmmaking by name :)

@Dreadylocks I am happy to hear that! Ping me when you have a product ready to launch and i will help you.

If you have something bigger coming up, please let me know and I will get you featured.

Cheers,
Nauris

Back