Producer's Rep

Hey everyone,

First time posting and I might not be in the right section, but am looking for some insight and background research.

Have been in contact with a Producer's Rep since the completion of my debut feature. The PR name is 'Adler and Associates Entertainment' based out of LA. They've negotiated with us a fair amount, but still want a small fee upfront plus backend, but we're talking minimal compared to what they WANTED.

I was hoping someone could tell me the legitimacy of this company.
I know how PRs can be from research I've done and would, obviously, prefer a SA, but no one has bitten yet and the producers and I are weighing our options since we have commitments to investors and the like.

Any information anyone can provide would be helpful and if you have questions let me know.

I don't know anything about this company. I would just say that I would not pay anyone anything up front. You hear a lot of stories about companies that want a nice up front payment to shop a script, rep a film, etc. "Accept" enough projects and you can earn a nice living!

There is an inherent conflict of interest in a rep taking money up front. You can never know if they're doing it because they believe in your movie or if they're doing it because they need to make money.

Last edited:
I have spoken with Marie a few times at AFM. If you're asking is her company
legit, I would say it is. But you don't know me or my reputation or background
so don't take my word for it. I have never places a project with her.

It is typical for reps like her to ask for money up front. It's always better to find
a rep willing to work ONLY for a percentage but that's more and more difficult
considering the state of the market in the twenty-teens.

Hey guys--

Thanks for the replies.
So basically you're saying the company IS legit, but it's just not the greatest deal since they clearly don't believe the film will 100% sell. Hence, why we'd pay a retainer. Might end up just doing some DIY stuff, might end up with higher profit margins than splitting or even taking backpack from a PR.

Hey guys--

Thanks for the replies.
So basically you're saying the company IS legit, but it's just not the greatest deal since they clearly don't believe the film will 100% sell. Hence, why we'd pay a retainer. Might end up just doing some DIY stuff, might end up with higher profit margins than splitting or even taking backpack from a PR.
If you want to do all the advertising and marketing yourself and
take all the profits, that is a very viable option. I'm a filmmaker
not a "seller" of movies so I'm willing to pay a company to do the
advertising and marketing. Then I must share the profits. I can
live with that.

In the current marketplace getting the best deal is not always
possible. So doing it yourself may be the best option for you.

Back