Distribution Made Easy!

Hello everyone! :) I introduced myself already but I figure I should do it again since that was only about 2 mins ago, my name is Elexus and I am one half of an up and coming independent film site called IndieOra.

Our main thing we are trying to accomplish with this site is to make it easier for independent Filmmakers/Directors to have a place where you can distribute you films with ease and see some return on all the hard work you have put in. This idea stemmed from the struggles of always trying to find a way to distribute our work but being tight on funds, it's very hard to distribute, promote, etc all while making the film look great with a tight budget. We decided it would be an easier and more rewarding process to create our own network for us and others like us as well. Soon, within the next week, we will launching on Indiegogo to raise money to pay for a great web developer/designing, servers, hosting, etc but we need some help promoting! We're not asking for free promotion or donations from any of you (unless of course you would like to help out ;) ), just some promotion in return for one of our perks we will be using in return for donations on Indiegogo. The promotion can be via blog post, Facebook, etc any large social media or blogging site with at least some base of people that would seem interested in either the perks or the site, either one will do.

I would love to also talk to some of you about things you would like to see on the site, some struggle you have faced trying to distribute, etc because we want to make this site as successful and user friendly as possible!

It's a mouthful and those aren't even a large bit of the details so if you would like to hear more, talk, or promote I can give you all the details, just reply here, pm me, or email - indieora @ gmail

we're also on facebook (indieora) and twitter! (indieoranetwork)

Welcome to indietalk.

We get several of these a year here. The idea is very much needed.
So far none (that I remember) have succeeded.

The primary issue is promotion. Traditional distributors promote –
that's what they do; we make movies, they promote movies. Simply
having a great website is one tenth of the challenge. Many of the
people who come here with these ideas expect the filmmaker to do
most of the promotion – driving people to the site who will pay to
watch their movie.

As a filmmaker I look for a distributor who will promote, who will
drive people to their site and in exchange will take a percentage
of what people pay to watch my movie. I do not want to promote
my films I want to make my films. When I find such a distributor
I will gladly pay an upfront fee and a percentage of each sale or view.

What you would need is a cooperative of some kind. But the problem is cost - the distributors can provide a service to filmmakers because they spread their costs over hundreds of films, and they have specialized knowledge. A few filmmakers will have to pay that cost and also develop that specialized knowledge, so, at the end of the day, it may not be cost effective to do so.

That said, I'm open to suggestions.

Welcome to indietalk.

We get several of these a year here. The idea is very much needed.
So far none (that I remember) have succeeded. (snip)

What directorik said. There are plenty of people here that advertise their site speaking of how great their idea is and that it's distribution made easy. Very rarely is that ever the case. What separates you from the rest?

Back