Should you keep yourself the copyright of everything people do for your movie?

When people create things for your movie (concept art, storyboard etc.) should you own the material in order to act on it (sell it, show it)?
Should you have them sign a contract - even when no one gets paid in an indie production?
How do you usually go about that?
And - because we talk about indie productions - is there a cheap way to go about it?

Kostas Gogas
Dutbo

I've sold a few indie features. Yes, you want release forms from everyone that contributes something recognizable, including your storyboard and conceptual artist. Get a release for all actors, your director of photography, visual effects guys, people who make original sound effects and music for you, the writer - basically anybody who can point to a scene and say, "I did that." or "That's me."

Trust me, people get serious, when they didn't think the project would go anywhere and then it gets picked up. I had one person threatening to sue, because their name didn't appear in the credits on the distributor's box cover. Fortunately the credit was prominent in the movie, itself. Save yourself an arguement or legal issue and get a release that says you can use their work on anything having to do with the movie, including documentaries, music videos, and anything promoting the project.

I usually shoot on private property; if the property is used prominently and is owned by somebody else, get a location release. If there is artwork on the wall, get permission from the artist to use it. If there is incidental music playing in the background, get permission.

It's funny, how this has changed over the years. When I sold my first feature, in 1990, no one was asking for DP or Visual Effects releases. I wrote, produced and scored the movie, so I just needed actor releases, in addition.

A lot of distributors demand Errors and Omissions insurance, these days.

You can get releases, on the net. Sonnyboo's site is a good place to start:

Last edited:
When it comes to audio post/sound design the contract should stipulate that the filmmaker gets the copyrights to the completed sound track (dialog, Foley, sound effects, etc.). The audio post folks get to retain the copyrights to the unique sounds they created for the film.

Wow, Great!
Thanks, that was really helpful -

@Scoopicman If you are working with someone over the internet (say in early pre-produtcion: storyboard etc.) - How do you get them to sign online: an e-signature service is OK?

I imagine that you should be advised by a lawyer for all this - but especially when you are on the early stages of pre-production and you don't know if the project will get off the ground: its OK to do it by yourself - right?

I imagine that you should be advised by a lawyer for all this - but especially when you are on the early stages of pre-production and you don't know if the project will get off the ground: its OK to do it by yourself - right?

Absolutely, it's okay to get a simple release, yourself. Get the signed/dated release, before your talent starts any work. (They are harder to get, after the fact.) It's better to negotiate, up front and find if there is a problem or not, immediately. If you wait and there is a personal fall out, the person can change their mind and hold the work hostage or not finish it.

Back