Dissect this concert performance footage.

What do you think went on to film the below performance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGndRS14lxg

It's a performance by singer/the musical artist "Beyonce", during a previously televised episode of "Oprah".

How many different cameras were used to film the performance? What types of equipment was used? Was there a "sled-and-vest system" wearing guy on the stage with Beyonce running around filming things? A crane being used to show the audience/venue? A drone/flying device with a camera attached to it? What would you have used to film the performance? What would you have done differently? The same? What audio sources are being used? Was her dynamic microphone even on? Was the majority of the audio/all of the audio recordings of a live performance?

Last edited:
Lots of money, that's the short answer, haha! Otherwise, I don't see anything too complicated going on.

The overwhelming majority of the footage looks like it was gathered with a vast array of stationary cameras with long zoom lenses. There's a little bit of footage taken from the front-row with a wide lens. The Oprah/Cruise reaction shots look like they were handheld and fairly wide.

I think the only shots that might get people wondering are the ones in which the camera seems to float through the air. You can thank the NFL for the Madden-cam. The camera is suspended by cables above the subject, remote-controlled and able to move in pretty much any direction. You can actually briefly see the Madden-cam in one of the wide shots.

As far as the audio... A prerecorded instrumental track with BG vox and probably some lead vox as well.

Others will have to answer the camera questions.

So just to be clear, you're referencing a pre-recorded instrumental track with the performer --Beyonce-- pre-recording her vocals on it along with background singers? Or the instrumental is pre-recorded, and she's singing live along with background singers? I also recently noticed her holding a dynamic microphone in her hand, and having a headset microphone as well. Is the headset one on, and the handheld one a prop? Both on? The headset one turned on later to shout out the host of the show -- "Oprah"-- while the handheld was was never on? Vice versa?

Back