Director's viewfinder - necessary?

I am planning to buy Director's viewfinder. This is the one I am going for. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...es_1000_01_Mark_Vb_Director_s_Viewfinder.html

As I am a student, I can get the student discount, around 75 dollars less. So far I have used the viewfinder only once and I liked it. My friends are using iPhone apps and told me that the apps pretty much function the same as viewfinder and they cost only $30.

* Is it worth buying actual viewfinders over apps? Are there any big difference?

* I am also considering the other options - micro and mini viewfinders which is one-fourth of the price of actual viewfinders.

Actual:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...es_1000_01_Mark_Vb_Director_s_Viewfinder.html

Micro:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...awyer_162128_Director_s_Micro_Viewfinder.html

Mini:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...00_03_MINIPOC_Mini_Director_s_Viewfinder.html

All three viewfinders cover varying film standards and video formats. Big one have more aspect ratios and focal length ranges than the micro/mini. But the price is almost 4 times the micro/mini. Any disadvantages in using micro/mini over the big one?

* One of my senior who graduated and now working in indie films told me that other than location scouting, directors rarely used the viewfinder these days as there is a HD monitor while shooting and directors just look at that to give the framing adjustments. (Looked like even for location scouting, only very few directors used it, others just took still pictures.) Is it worth buying a viewfinder for shooting in digital?

* If I buy one, can I use the viewfinder for any digital cameras?

Thanks.

In Finland it is rare to see those. Directors use more lcd in digital set up or hands :D connected making box :D
miscellaneous-hand_framing-hand_gestures-gesturing_hand-film_director-hand_frame-948000808_low.jpg

Last edited:

* If I buy one, can I use the viewfinder for any digital cameras?

I don't know.
I do know you can use a digital camera as a viewfinder ;)
As long as you know how the focal length of the camera you use as viewfinder relates to the camera used for shooting.

I scout locations with a Canon 60D, but I don't shoot with it.

So, the thing to look for in a director's viewfinder (yes, Ifind them very useful), is a finder which provides conversion to the camera formats you expect do be using. In native mode, they will provide an accurate representaton shooting full frame or 35mm film. But most new digital cameras do not shoot full frame. As an example, my 60D uses the APS-C crop sensor (which is close to super-35). As a crop sensor, any lens focal length must be multiplied by 1.6. This means a 50mm film lens will behave like an 80mm when attached to my camera. Many of the newer director's viewfinders have these secondary multipliers built in. You would start by setting the secondary to match the crop factor of your camera, then you can accurately make framing and lens choices.

Last edited:
I don't mind sharing, but I would like to know why you want that information?
I think of indietalk as a discussion group and you're kind of new
and I'm curious so I asked. It won't happen again.

The last question you asked I answered and I got nothing. Don't
even know if you even saw my detailed answer. I was curious if
you only asked questions but generally never reply back.

It is useful if you have heavy load and not so much assistants. So you don't have to move camera and chance lenses all the time, but in my experience most of the Pro Dp's and directors who have been cameraman before working in director role use they experience about how the camera sensor and lenses chance the shot. So they don't need those so much because they have assistants to move camera and chance lenses, but I understand that in small group. Because there is maybe like 1 grip and camera man. So if you put the rail on wrong place it can take 20 minutes to move it and make it balance again example in outdoors. In big croup 1 man can hold the camera, 1 pic up new lens, 2 move the stand so it is fast to move, but in small group it takes time especially if you have lot of wires to directors monitor so in bad scenario you have to take those of too. It is still easier to show on monitor and talk about it with all leaders if every one see it same time so you need monitor anyway. In location scouting I think you need more pictures about the place than the shots because with the shot you have to think what you want to tell with them so the shots should be the same what ever the place is. It is easier to plan of course in the location.

In summary buy it if you have extra cash and your director want to use it. Don't buy it if it is not so important to you and you need that money for some thing else. I would use the money for monitor if I have to choose between scope and monitor.

I think of indietalk as a discussion group and you're kind of new
and I'm curious so I asked. It won't happen again.

The last question you asked I answered and I got nothing. Don't
even know if you even saw my detailed answer. I was curious if
you only asked questions but generally never reply back.

Hi Directorik:

I don't want to post publicly in the forum which film school I am going. So I sent you a private message.

I would like to thank you and also apologize.

Thank you for sharing your ideas, now and before. My previous post (http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=59645) regarding where to buy these? you shared your ideas about dress code. That is very valuable. I also went to the store you suggested to buy the gloves. I very sincerely apologize, I should have replied in that forum at least acknowledging that I have read it. (I was tensed going to the professional shoot for the first time and forgot the manners). Again, I am sorry.

You may want a viewfinder that would allow you to choose lens length, and frame an image. It all depends on how you work with DP's. However, most of the time a playback monitor can be set up, which I find a bit more open/inclusive. I want to talk to, show and hear from my codirector, producer, actors, etc.

I'd say, you dont need shit. You need to make some films and figure out how you are comfortable.

I love the look of Director's viewfinders but usually just go with what I see in the camera viewfinder, or I already have a picture of exactly what I want in my head before I start. Failing that I use my hands like elemental says above, especially if you're looking for more interesting angles. I suppose if you want to buy one then by all means it's a fun tool to have. However, if money is an issue I would suggest finding different techniques and trying out the cheaper options first. Failing that, open the camera app in your phone or use a DSLR.

Back