• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Short film for getting sponsor to write a feature, idea?

Do you agree I look for director for making openning scenes of my 2 films as short film to show others to find a sponsor for finishing them?
Is there any Director to help? Just 3 mins for each is enough in my idea/I think that way...

Thanks!

Director of short should be director of finished product. Or the vision changes and it's a literal bait and switch.

Then write short and simple things first that can be made without the Weta Workshop.
Nobody (= no pun, but he is a dreamer as well) has ever made a first short without any experience and saw that turn into a feature.

Then write short and simple things first that can be made without the Weta Workshop.
Nobody (= no pun, but he is a dreamer as well) has ever made a first short without any experience and saw that turn into a feature.

How about having a coworker/partner who made some things before??

There is no shortcut.
Nobody will give you millions based on 1 short, no matter how good it is.

Dream big and set baby steps towards the goal.
Or dream big and keep on dreaming.

Do you agree I look for director for making openning scenes of my 2 films as short film to show others to find a sponsor for finishing them?
Is there any Director to help? Just 3 mins for each is enough in my idea/I think that way...
I have a different opinion than Walter, I think it's great for a writer
to look for a director to make a short film and then use that short
to show potential sponsors/investors for a feature.

Partner up with a passionate director and make that short film.

I have a different opinion than Walter, I think it's great for a writer
to look for a director to make a short film and then use that short
to show potential sponsors/investors for a feature.

Partner up with a passionate director and make that short film.

Partnering up is always good.
And the short - feature route has been done often before.

But:
when one has never written a realised short the odds are against one when it comes to creating that winning short.
So partner up and make something less complicated first so it gets easier to do the fantasy short later.

Doing it anyway might result in 3 outcomes:
- never shooting a second
- make a mwah short because you still needed funding for the short to sell the feature, but without track record it was too hard to find investors for that
- being the next Hollywood legend making it big with a first short

The last one is the most unlikely.

Last edited:
Because I am not full-time writer with a lot of experience, I am not doing as great as possible. But my big problem is English, I can do tech job in an English language country, but due to financial barriers, it is not happening - yet.
I am trying, but the difference of us is huge, I need vast amount of money, it needs years of work in a correct financial term which didn't happen in a decade. I am passionate, so, I try even when light of hope is very weak.
I wrote a Persian Short maybe 2 days ago, about a man who takes lover of his daughter to a date garden in south of Iran and tries to convince him of forgetting his daughter. Not best story, anyways, I think directing in short is more important than writing even for a writer.
I need to find one director and until then, I can improve, though there is no big reason for this to be the main candidate. It is short, so, I can write another, and one be chosen, or all be made, which is too hard to happen.

I started the short without enough introduction I think and there are not enough tensions there. I added a bit of religion of major Iran into it......

Writing is like Programming, when you want Quality, you need to devote more and more time on it. Only quotes need one native for my texts, others are easier. Q: Are you sure I need to do one cheap short film before those who are my real goals?

You should take the steps you can, no matter how small, toward your goal. Just don't try to run before you learn to crawl.

ETA: Or do, and learn from the pain of hitting your face on the ground. We all pay for our educations, either with money, time and effort, or pain. Pain is probably the most effective.

.........Q: Are you sure I need to do one cheap short film before those who are my real goals?

Name 1 first short ever from a total beginner that was truly brilliant.

Trust me:
you have ambitions plans.
Without having experience making a simpler drama, you will be overwhelmed by both the basic stuff and the complicated technical stuff needed for fantasy at the same time. Knowing the basics makes the complicated parts easier to grasp.

In school you also did not start with the final chapter of your math book, right?

Back