good tripod?

Hi there, still haven't gotten my camera yet, but I was wondering about tripods. Does the s8mm camera need any special adapters or can it pretty much work with any tripod?

Super8 cameras use the same screw mount that current consumer grade cam-corders and still cameras use. So basically any tripod will work. Though if you plan on doing any panning or tilting whilst filming, you'd do best to get a nice sturdy one with a fluid head. Expect to pay $150 or more for a good one.

Manfrotto is a good choice.

Lol I should know the exact screw thread for most cameras... my steadygrip Ive been sourcing for I should know this.

I think its 1/4-20 thread. This is standard. There is the possibility of a larger size like my k3 is but this is a standard bolt size too.

If its 1/4-20, the same as practically every camcorder made for a few decades, then you're in good shape.

Basically what you want is a fluid head and personally I dont like the latch type tighteners, because Ive had many fail on me after a short period of time. I prefer the screw type. Sturdy legs is also a strong thing to look for.

There are certainly brand names like bogen to look for but really what you are looking for is what I mentioned above.

Sachtler is a good choice for fluid head tripods. They are very expensive, but they really work. If you have an important shoot (in any format, film or video) you might consider renting a good tripod. Your audience will thank you.

Bogen/Manfrotto is a good tripod, sometimes you can get a 'system', which means you can get the tripod and the head together. This costs more, but you don't have to buy them separately which I think is more....

-- spinner :cool:

I just bought a new Giotto, which for the price was a good purchase -- in the States you should be able to get one for about the $200 mark.

However, if I was in the States I would have gone for a Miller -- in the UK they're not so easy to get hold of.

Back