Kinda quiet here...

So I figure I'll talk about what's been on my mind :)

I am now ready to purchase a super8 camera. I've done my research and asked alot of questions (both here and other boards). I've been checking eBay daily and keeping an eye out for a good camera. But, of course, i still can't decide on what camera is best for me.

I like the Canon 814 XL-S because it is one of the newest models (or I should say least oldest) of what's out there. It has a CPU controlling its motor, which is not as good as crystal-sync, but it's much better than a regular cheapy camera. Also, the 814 XL-S can be modified with a crystal-sync motor later if need be.

I like the Beaulieu because it seems to have a reputation of reliability. The top models have crystal-sync on board, but the price is very high. Lens can be changed. And, some of them come with battery packs, which is very appealing to me.

I've look at others that were recommended, such as the Nikon, but they seem to be more rare on eBay.

Now some questions:

Any idea on how long 6AA batteries last in a camera?

How risky is it to buy from someone say in Germany or the UK? I'm hesitant about sending someone $500 who is beyond the laws of my country (US)... whether they are out-right scammers or they misrepresent the item and I want a refund. Anyone have any experience with this, good or bad?

Last edited:
If you buy a camera on ebay, and don't like it, you can sell it for as much as you bought it for. I can't tell you how many I've bought and resold. Just buy, test, keep or sell.

Yes, that's a very good point. I guess since I'm hoping to start shooting my short soon, I hope to make the right choice from the start.

How about buying overseas though? Have you done much of that? Thoughts?

I'm in the process of buying a Beaulieu 4008 ZM2 because it has user-adjustable ASA, a high quality lens (Optivaron 6-66) and repair shops still refurbish Beaulieus.

As for buying overseas, I haven't ever been totally burned in an ebay transaction, domestic or overseas, so have no opinion (knock on wood, haven't heard back from the seller on this camera yet, even though he has my money).

Yeah it has been quite here in the Super 8/16mm part of the boards. I've been working on my silent Super8 comedy and am about ready to put it online. Either this week or next it should go live! :) I'll let everyone know when it does of course. :)

Robert, glad you got all the answers and research done and are now ready to buy a camera! Indie's right if you don't like it you can always re-sell and get another. :) I've only had 1 experience with overseas shipments, and it came through fine. The only thing with that is, is the HIGH SHIPPING RATES and extra time you might have to wait. Good luck and let us know how you come out with the purchase.

Back