Freezing film

So, I have gotten my hands on some Kodachrome 40, but will not be using it for a month or two. I know I should put them in the freezer, but I just wanted to check and see if there is anything special I should do when storing them (keep them in a ziplock? etc)

-Robert

You'll want it as best sealed as possible, I'm assuming you're talking about super 8 K40, and if it's new in the boxes they're sealed already, but throwing it into a ziplock isn't a bad idea anyway..

I put mine in a large ziplock, and sucked all the air out of it before putting it into the fridge.. not only is it now well sealed, but it's all contained in one package, so it won't wind up all over the place in there.. :)

So... let's assume that I ... err... a friend of mine
smiley_ninja.gif
had somehow managed to squeeze a few thousand feet of 16mm and a dozen S8 cartridges into a freezer (what a noob :rolleyes: never catch me doing that. Honest!) several months ago...

...would should I tell my friend to do? :hmm:

Zen,

I know I've related my personal experience with freezing film on your past thread but I will quote Ed Pincus' book 'The Filmmakers Guide'.

"The lower the temparature the slower the effects of the aging process on film. Eastman Kodak recommends using raw stock within 6 months of purchase, and for longer periods, storing the film at 0 degrees to 10 degrees F. If you need to ensure a high degree of uniformity in the film, always store raw stock at these lower temperatures. Since relative humidty in a refridgerator or freezer is very high, pack film in a plastic freezer bag to control humidity. After you remove the stock from cold storage, allow it to come to room temperature before breaking the moisture seal. Tis prevents condensation and spotting on the stock. Minimum warm-up times are 1 to 1 1/2 hours for super-8 abd 16mm stocks and 3-5 hours for 35mm."

Last edited:
Back