RED Scarlet Destroyed *Source*

Now that I got your attention ;).

The RED scarlet has been erased... well.. everything that we have been told.. articles.. conventions.. all gone because of the new market. The whole thing is being revamped. tune in for a big surprise!

source? RED site.

We have changed everything about Scarlet because the market has changed and we have discovered a lot of things in the process. We have a new vision.

Wipe you minds of the past announced Scarlet. Forget the design and forget the price. It is all different now. We think you will be surprised. Glad we didn't take any deposits... :)

Jim

I agree Wideshot. ITs not the camera, but everything else that goes into a film.

I agree with the both of you. There are alot of people (present company excluded of course) who think that HD will make them a better filmmaker. Hey, if you shoot crappy footage, you just have crappy footage with beautiful clarity.

About the RED....

The Scarlet, assuming it hasn't been modified in that department, hot swaps 8GB or 16GB compact flash cards. The 32GB cards will be released at around the same time. Shooting on Red One gives you around 5 minutes recording time. So 16gb will give you around ten and 32gb about 20 or so. That's 40 minutes recording time before you have to change a card, but it's continuous as it hot swaps between them similar to P2.

When you say "hot swaps", what do you mean? When you say "40 minutes recording time before you have to change, but its continuous," does that mean you can't stop down to change the card? :huh:

-- spinner :cool:

In this case, DSLR refers to a digital still camera, but they've added video capabilities to them. Canon recently released a camera that competes with the advertised specs of the scarlet.

The RED One, their first big show stopping camera competes against big hollywood film cameras, but digital instead of film.

Here are some examples of the beautiful pix/vids it can take: http://redrelay.net/

The scarlet is poised to be the 16mm digital equivalent of that movement. At a $3k price point and 3k horizontal resolution, it would have proved awesome... but now, Mr. Jannard is giving it the once over to make it compete better against the DSLR field. Should be cool.

Hey there

Could you clarify which cameras are already out there doing what the scarlet was supposed to be doing? It seemed like a pretty darn good camera to me.
Since I'm here, could anyone suggest if any camera like the scarlet is coming out and when? I'm writing a feasibility study for a feature and stuff like that would be real helpful to me

Thanks

I LOVE the short FEEL MY PAIN. Amazingly well-produced. Beautifully shot.

This is a perfect example of how a RED can--with proper skill behind it--rival a true Hollywood film. In my eyes, it looks just as good.

Check out this short: http://www.redrelay.net/owners/0098/films/FMP_WebSD_CC.mov

I think it's totally worth the investment to pick up a 2K or 4K camera that allows for adapters and lenses. They are expensive, yes, but they are only a fraction of the cost of a standard 35mm...a fraction. If you are a production company that is serious about making features and selling them...it would be wise to invest in a camera on the level with RED.

Ok, now that I've read up on what a DSLR camera is, is there any difference in video quality between a DSLR and a Digicam? I'm probably making a laughable mistake, but the only difference I was able to understand between the two was with the way the image is presented in the viewfinder? Does this make a difference to videographers? What am I missing? What is the all the hoopla and adverts I see for this RED thing?

Stu Maschwitz (of 'DV Rebel's Guide and Magic Bullet fame) has bloged about DSLR's and shot test etc. He has a great blog check it out. He covers the weakness of the format and how you're better off buying a HD camera- if you're shooting video. From what I've seen he's one of the more experienced guys with this technology (Cannon D5) and been working with it for about a year (before it was on the market)

http://prolost.com/blog/2009/3/25/attention-canon-nikon-video-dslrs-are-not-for-who-you-think.html

In my market a RED One rents for about $1200 a day (by the time you get all the bits you need. They advertise it at $495 a day, but that's just the body). My understanding is you have to book it about 6 months in advance.

Back