HD Camera and Film look, what's best in 2008?

I've been reading a lot of REALLY old threads and articles on the internet about the cameras... but they are all extremely outdated. From this research I have come to the conclusion that the Panasonic DVX100a will do what I want. But, it seems as if it's not for sale anymore? Today, what is one of the better camera's/setups for under $5000?

This is what's important to me:

1) Ability to make HD and true widescreen short films ( I want to be able to make a nice DVD with HD and widescreen , as well as put these on youtube and etc)
2) Options to use settings as close to "film" as possible, such as 24p
3) Not have to jump through big hoops to get the HD footage uploaded to my Mac
4) Ability to plug in professional grade audio equipment

My vote goes for the JVC HD110U, or the Panasonic AG-HVX200, in your price range. If you don't want to spend that much, I'm quite fond of my Canon XH-A1, but I think the two cameras I listed first are superior.

BTW: You can still buy a Pansonic AG-DVX100B, which is the upgraded DVX100A; same camera, just some minor changes in materials to meet environmental guidelines.

I may go with the Panasonic DVX100b instead of the HVX200. I'm having a hard time finding much advantage in spending the extra cash on the HVX200, for my purposes. Is the P2 the big upgrade on that camera?

The JVC HD110U is an excellent camera.

I got it because I need the interchangable lens, something the
Panasonic doesn't offer. And I really dislike the Leica lens.

I'd go with the JVC as well. Not only does it allow you to change to a professional broadcast lens, it also shoulder mounts (which for "old school" camera ops is pretty useful)

I'm pretty sure the workflow issues for FCP and the JVC have been ironed out now. There was a period about 18 months ago where "once again" the camera codec was ahead of the NLE (wouldn't it be great if those companies could learn to talk to each other! LOL)

Back