How should Disney/Lucasfilm portray Leia?

Now that Carrie Fisher is gone, how should Disney portray the princess in future movies? With another actor or with a CGI image?

Her younger digital image appeared in the final scene of Rogue One, but that CGI image looked very plastic. I'm not overly enthused about it.

Well, filming is done for the next film, so if her fate was already planned, they'll be okay. But if they had to do more, I'd rather they recast than the digital makeup they did for Tarkin. I thought it looked good, and made it seamless given how close the first movie and Rogue One were, timeline wise, and a great way to honor an amazing actor (the guy who did the physical acting played Sherlock Holmes once...and did so by studying Cushing's performance of the character), but part of my brain is saying "too soon".

Also, to nerd out for a minute, becoming a force ghost is a technique that must be learned through jedi training. No indication that Leia had any, or was even force sensitive, other than her family being jedi. ;)

Well, filming is done for the next film, so if her fate was already planned, they'll be okay. But if they had to do more, I'd rather they recast than the digital makeup they did for Tarkin. I thought it looked good, and made it seamless given how close the first movie and Rogue One were, timeline wise, and a great way to honor an amazing actor (the guy who did the physical acting played Sherlock Holmes once...and did so by studying Cushing's performance of the character), but part of my brain is saying "too soon".

Also, to nerd out for a minute, becoming a force ghost is a technique that must be learned through jedi training. No indication that Leia had any, or was even force sensitive, other than her family being jedi. ;)

I'm not too fond of the CGI either, and I would rather recast. As for the force ghost, just inject some midichlorians or whatever, and she'll have the force in her.

If we're going to bring midichlorians into it, they even said in ep 1 that they are just attracted to force sensitive people, they don't cause it (that will never stop me from making the "testing positive for Jedi" joke). And anyway, training. She'd need it, and I saw nothing in any of the movies showing she had it, or even interest in having it.

I don`t think recasting would go well with "please the old fanbase" direction the VII movie had. If next one is done filming, they will have plenty of time to rewrite the third movie scenario accordingly.

Personally, I'd simply write out the character, but failing that, I think they should get another actor.

Ditto. I'm not a fan of what they did with Tarkin. I'm sure they acquired rights to his likeness from his estate or whatever, but I personally think it's unethical. In my opinion, only the actor themselves should be allowed to grant rights to their likeness, and you obviously can't do that when dead.

That, plus it would just be way too soon. Using her likeness via CGI would be in very poor taste.

I see in no world where they recast Leia. I'm not the biggest fanboy, but you can't just replace her, nor would they ever want to. They'll have to write her off somehow and surely in a very tasteful way that also celebrates Carrie's legacy.

Having someone else play Princess Leia would be like having someone besides Toby McGuire play Spiderman.

I was pretty sure Disney made an announcement a week or so ago on how they're doing the Leia character in Ep 9. Wasn't it along the lines of using footage that was unused in Ep 7 and 8?

Back