Directing 1st feature

I'm currently directing my first feature film, a horror film and it's been in production a year. That's ok as I've not filmed constantly but only when money and time etc makes it possible. Over 2/3rds shot and I couldn't be happier with the images. I've done the cinematography, set design and shot it myself. Saved up years before to buy all the camera lenses, lights, steadicam etc..
Just want to say that's it's hard work but apsolutely possible. Nothing gets done by just dreaming about it. You have to be really focused and put in the hard work and then you'd be surprised that opportunities happen. It literally happened without a plan or a complete script which is crazy and not something I'd suggest. Filmed a scene and the story came from that...it's likeit wrote itself, I know that sounds crazy, but sometimes things just happen for a reason a certain time and you have to take it and run, but the desire and small steps forward makes it happen. Don't allow negative people around you put you off from achieving your dream..there will be people along the way who don't believ in you and are envious..stay away from them..You need complete positive energy to create..You will learn so much, camera, dealing with actors, organisation, lighting etc..takes a huge amount of patience but the satisfaction is immense. You CAN do it! Don't allow other negative thoughts that cloud your vision to stop you..it can be done.!

Hope this ramble relates somehow..I'm still midway on this journey and it's absolutely thrilling, daunting at times but just the best thing I ever did.

Thanks guys..It's literally jumping over hurdles everytime but you'll be amazed that you can achieve it..I think the psychological aspect of doing or not doing is hardly mentioned..fear & other anxieties stops a lot of people making that jump..really need to get a punk attitude and just do it..! Looking forward to the forum and learning and sharing experiences. cheers.

So are you are one-man film crew? Or do you have a crew (and cast) that are willing to meet your schedule? What are you shooting on and how are you recording sound?

I guess this is a no-budget affair? I look forward to seeing it! I'm a big fan of no-budget horror!

It's low budget for sure but that doesn't stop me from getting the images I want. Have to be really innovative,..learned from years of making shorts on super 8mm & video. The crew is about 6/7 depending..as a trained graphic artist/designer I am confident in my artistic approach, lighting, set design and photography ect which helps create the look. I have worked with several proffessional actors, mainly TV who like the project..even if I had a tone of money I would pretty much make it the sameway..talking story, camera angels, lighting etc..obviously would have help in every department w/ abigger budget but you have to make the best w/what you have. If I waited untill everything was perfect,money,script, actors et it would Never get made. I literally plan a sequence which has been storyboarded, location or accomodation chosen/organised etc have the contact with the actress/actor months/weeks in advance..arrange to shoot w/ them and get it done...once you start the ball starts rolling and jthings happen..I've been very lucky..it'shard to describe, it's hard work but easy at the same time..there's no time on set to worry,just have to get the best you can..yes time and money are limiting and it's a constant battle with that,but again I plan everything to save time and hope for the best..I work well under pressure luckily..

Welcome to IT!

Great to hear you are making a feature.

..I think the psychological aspect of doing or not doing is hardly mentioned..fear & other anxieties stops a lot of people making that jump..really need to get a punk attitude and just do it..! ...........

It's true: one can only do by doing.
It is not hardly mentioned once you discover all the H44 threads on IT ;)

It's low budget for sure but that doesn't stop me from getting the images I want. Have to be really innovative,..learned from years of making shorts on super 8mm & video. The crew is about 6/7 depending..as a trained graphic artist/designer I am confident in my artistic approach, lighting, set design and photography ect which helps create the look. I have worked with several proffessional actors, mainly TV who like the project..even if I had a tone of money I would pretty much make it the sameway..talking story, camera angels, lighting etc..obviously would have help in every department w/ abigger budget but you have to make the best w/what you have. If I waited untill everything was perfect,money,script, actors et it would Never get made. I literally plan a sequence which has been storyboarded, location or accomodation chosen/organised etc have the contact with the actress/actor months/weeks in advance..arrange to shoot w/ them and get it done...once you start the ball starts rolling and jthings happen..I've been very lucky..it'shard to describe, it's hard work but easy at the same time..there's no time on set to worry,just have to get the best you can..yes time and money are limiting and it's a constant battle with that,but again I plan everything to save time and hope for the best..I work well under pressure luckily..

Good luck. It's pretty tough and something I'm experiencing at the moment. Good luck!

I love this f&*^ing post!

The best way to get shit done is to throw yourself into the middle of it. Problem solving only works when you have problems. Don't wait for all the stars to align, throw yourself in the mix, and align them yourself.

Well done sir, looking or forward to the finished product!

I love this f&*^ing post!

The best way to get shit done is to throw yourself into the middle of it. Problem solving only works when you have problems. Don't wait for all the stars to align, throw yourself in the mix, and align them yourself.

Well done sir, looking or forward to the finished product!

Thanks..
Very true..how long do you have to have for everything to be perfect..I've done it myself, said a million times I want to make a film but thought I need to refine the script, have more money, have a better camera, have a better this, more of that, it goes on and on....really got to jump into the deep end and just make a start..all these other things can come later but getting a feature under yr belt you'll learn more than you could imagine...but doesn't have to be feature, a short, just make films and get them out there.
You need lots of Passion/ determination/bravery/skills/creativity/hard work & self belief...go for it.)

Back