Remaining Budget and filmmaker's right?

Hi friends i wanted to know about a question. Suppose if i wrote a script and any studio selected it and gave me the required budget to make that film. Suppose after doing all budgeting i say film will be completed in $ 200,000 including all the costs from A to Z. Later on due to efficiency i save any amount from that $ 200,000. Suppose i am able to save 10,000 now what does the customs of trade say? that will be the amount which i will have to return it or will i keep that amount without telling the studio because the deal was made for 200,000 SO what will happen of that remaining $10,000 ??

Any idea? what does custom of the trade say?

I find it interesting that you are avoiding answering the question.

You feel it might be acceptable to keep 5% of a $200,000 budget
so I'm wondering if you feel it might be acceptable to keep 16%
of a $300,000 budget.

What about 5% of a $500,000 budget? If by efficiency, good
actors, good weather and fewer shifts than you originally expected
you could save $25,000, it that an amount you feel you should
be able to keep?

If you were allowed to pocket the difference then there is no end. Shoot the thing on a Cannon XL-1 (instead of 35mm), cut corners everywhere you can and make the movie for $50,000 while pocketing $250,000. That would be theft. The contract should explain what you get in consideration for making the movie. This is just one example of why a film attorney has to draft the contract. There's endless things that a producer can cut corners on if it isn't spelled out.

Just imagine this was customary for a moment. The crap factor of films would rise exponentially LOL.

Back