Best place to get props

Where is the best place to get props? I'm talking guns, badges, wardrobe, etc. I've had real guns donated from a company for filming once, but don't like having a real firearm on set. I wouldn't mind blank guns though, as I was wanting to convert the real firearms into blank pistols, but it wasn't feasible. I'm looking for any and all props for future films. Just need to know the best place to look. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badges we've had custom-made cheaply through web sites - I don't remember the names but we're talking $5-10 generally.

Wardrobe we start with talking to the actors (once they've been cast) to see what usable things they have in their own closet (which has the advantage of knowing it should fit). Then we hit the director's and producers' wardrobe, and then move on to the Salvation Army and Goodwill. For specialized things like a nun's habit, white coat for a doctor, etc, we sometimes rent but make sure that we know exactly when we need the piece so that we get and return it as quickly as possible. I'm in NJ so we usually use NYC-based rental houses, but there are also plenty of specialized rental houses on line. But we always start with free and proceed to very cheap before going to anything that costs more than a few dollars.

Badges we've had custom-made cheaply through web sites - I don't remember the names but we're talking $5-10 generally.

Wardrobe we start with talking to the actors (once they've been cast) to see what usable things they have in their own closet (which has the advantage of knowing it should fit). Then we hit the director's and producers' wardrobe, and then move on to the Salvation Army and Goodwill. For specialized things like a nun's habit, white coat for a doctor, etc, we sometimes rent but make sure that we know exactly when we need the piece so that we get and return it as quickly as possible. I'm in NJ so we usually use NYC-based rental houses, but there are also plenty of specialized rental houses on line. But we always start with free and proceed to very cheap before going to anything that costs more than a few dollars.

Thanks. We've lucked out with free, but I'm inquiring due to more interest in our films

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back