Is the Canon 5D Mark II still worth purchasing?

I want to start working on my own film projects (mostly small shorts, possible features in the future). Is the 5D still worth picking up now that newer and better models have now been released? For a 5-year old camera, it's still a bit expensive ($2,000+). I'm fine with spending that much as long as I don't regret getting it at that price. Are there other alternatives to the 5D that I might consider getting at around the same price range? Camcorders maybe?

Thanks guys!!

I think you should wait for July when the Blackmagic cinema camera will starting sales. Not saying to buy it, but wait for reviews and footages to see if it is a better option to your purposes.

I'm not an expert but the 5D seems so pointless to me. If you go for something like the 60D and spend the rest of those thousands on the nicest lens you can buy you'll be much happier.

Not much price difference between a used 5Dmk2 and a 60D at this point, a few hundred dollars, and that few hundred bucks buys you full frame. Which is a different look that some love (me) and some don't. It also greatly expands your lens options.

Last edited:
Back