I will cut your feature trailer FOR FREE!

I think I have it in me to cut some awesome trailers. The way I see it, there is only one way to find out. I believe the film-school thing is to cut a trailer from an established movie, using footage and audio from the actual movie.

I don't want to do that. I have to think that score and soundtrack will get in the way of me using the footage I want.

I want to cut YOUR trailer. I will require 3 things:

1. The final cut of the movie (and it needs to be a full-length feature)
2. The final cut of the movie, minus music and sound effects
3. Separate tracks for music and sound effects

The trailer I cut will be yours to use, for any purposes, or you can discard it and pretend it never happened. I will, of course, want to use the trailer as part of my reel, and any promotional purposes, for my editing.

For the vast majority of feature filmmakers on this forum, you literally have nothing to lose. If you want reference, here's the one trailer I've cut:

http://www.vimeo.com/25387366

PM me, if you're interested. Cheers!

Nice try, Mr. Funk.

hahahha

yes....

833ec_ORIG-skeptical_gif.gif

I saw the credits u did for Woolies. Pretty cool and appropriate for the short.
Trailers are different but it shows u know how to edit and more importantly how to edit appropriately for the job.

Ill think about you if i do a feature.

Wouldn't an "inappropriate" trailer contest be awesome? I'll save that for another thread.

Back on topic; as far as I'm concerned, there is no better way to hone a skill than practice under fire. Excellent idea, CF. I wish I had something for you.

CamVader, that could be fun, for sure.

Ernest, Nick's credit sequence didn't really show any of my editing, otherwise I would've gladly included it. He chose the footage, told me where to put it, where to put the text, and the only creative decision I made was to slow the footage down, because it was so shaky.

Anyway, I'm gonna post an ad on craigslist, but I wanted to give the land of indietalk a first bat. I think we can all agree that a fresh pair of eyes is what you want editing your feature trailer, but most of us low-budget-guys simply don't have anyone we can lean on, so we do it ourselves. Well, low-budgeters, here's your fresh eyes.

Bumpety-bump!

Time is running out, on the exclusive indietalk offer of a free trailer, before I post the same ad on craigslist.

Even if you already have a trailer, you have nothing to lose. Fresh-eyes are a good thing, and I can chop-suey your film like Benihana!

Buehler............Buehler...........anybody..........anybody........

So, I posted an ad on craigslist -- only response I got was from some guy who wanted me to cut his fake trailer, for a movie that doesn't exist.

Since not one person has responded to this offer, in which you literally have nothing to lose, I ask the sincere question -- what gives?

My honest opinion -- everyone thinks they can edit. We'll pay people to do post audio work. We'll pay people to DP. We'll pay people to do all of the stuff that we can't do so well. But editing? Shit, anybody can do that (or so we think).

If you choose not to hire an editor, it's not because you can't afford it, it's because you chose not to make that one of your expenditures. On this forum, the only filmmaker I know of who hires an editor is Gonzo.

In this particular situation, I'm offering my services, free of charge. Why in the world wouldn't someone take me up on that offer?

Sincere question.

Also, if anyone is seeing this for the first time, the offer still stands. :)

You're right. Everybody thinks he can edit.

Trouble is, if you cut my trailer, then I do the feature (because I have the Touch!), then either my feature doesn't look as good as the trailer, or I gotta pay you scale to do the feature too.

Anyway, my feature isn't ready.

If I had a feature right now I'd totally let you edit a trailer haha.

I agree with what you say though. I'm an editor, it was my first steady job in production. Even I work with another editor friend on our projects. We can't always sit down together and hack it together, but we'll send drafts and revisions back and forth 'till we're both happy.

There's an art to editing that nobody "gets" right away. You can learn it of course like anything else, but how many hats do you want to wear? There's a reason why almost every director in Hollywood sits with an editor to cut together a project, even now in the digital days when it's not a physical skill to glue film together.

Well, somebody finally took me up on the offer! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9VaMQiZ7Q0

The filmmakers were great to work with, and they produced a solid movie.

I've also recently cut a trailer for a short, by an IT regular, but I can't share it because I don't know if he's ready for that yet. Anyway, I cut his because he's cool, and I wanted to help in the project. That being said, the original offer still stands, and it is for features only.

I'm gonna do a couple more for free (and I think I'll do a couple "fan-trailers" from bigger-budget movies). After that, you give me money! So, now is the time to get your hands on an experienced, and free editor! :)

Back