Cheapest place for Royalty Free Music

Hi wheatgrinder, I somehow missed your question and only just read it when I was back here checking some other info I was searching.

I clearly understand that attribution would be quite impossible for commercials.

Well I didn't have a non attribution license earlier on but I have just recently launched my paid selection of 35,000 tracks at $0.99 per track. This is the first and only $0.99 music for your projects offering around at this size. The free selection will continue to be free requiring attribution. The paid selection will not require attribution and will include a license to your name or company's name. Hope you check the site out. Oh by the way, the music is not signed with any performance rights organizations so it is true royalty free worldwide. I suppose this is pretty rare.

I'm subscribing to this thread... interested to see the responses... I need theme music for a show I'm doing and I've looked through all of the previously mentioned content and still haven't found anything catchy.

What sort of a theme are you looking for? Let me know, I might have something I can hook you up with!

Az.Jewelbeat,
wow, what can I say, what an amazing resource. GREAT NEW WEB SITE. I cant wait to spend my next $10! :)

I love the download, stick and HD model, very interesting idea. Hope it makes you a bazillion dollars!

Hi wheatgrinder, I somehow missed your question and only just read it when I was back here checking some other info I was searching.

I clearly understand that attribution would be quite impossible for commercials.

Well I didn't have a non attribution license earlier on but I have just recently launched my paid selection of 35,000 tracks at $0.99 per track. This is the first and only $0.99 music for your projects offering around at this size. The free selection will continue to be free requiring attribution. The paid selection will not require attribution and will include a license to your name or company's name. Hope you check the site out. Oh by the way, the music is not signed with any performance rights organizations so it is true royalty free worldwide. I suppose this is pretty rare.

I can't imagine why any composer/musician in their right mind would allow their music to be sold at 99c and have no affiliation with a P.R.O and no chance of making more than a few cents from someone using their music in a producton. It's crazy.
Just say for argument's sake a piece of music by 'composer X' is picked up and used in a film that "makes it big" and is broadcast on TV etc. The composer gets a few cents for their work, and all the money that has been collected by the PRO from the broadcasters as a matter of course, instead of being paid to the composer who should be entitled to the broadcast royalties (if the song was registered with the PRO), gets nothing, and Lady G or whoever is at the top of the charts for that quarter gets paid the royalties instead. Not being affiliated with a PRO makes no difference to the cost to a film maker/ video producer or (anyone for that matter) as they wouldn't be paying the broadcast royalties anyway. Nor does the broadcaster pay any more, or any less to the PRO whether or not the songs are registered with them, because they pay set yearly or quarterly fees, not fees on a song by song basis. So the composer dips out on a potential extra source of income, and for what purpose?

One of the cheapest places that I know of with really good production value is AudioJungle. The music is completely royalty free as well and averages around $11 to purchase a license.

AudioJungle

I might be only slightly biased since I am an author/composer there :P, but there is quite a lot of healthy competition, and it is constantly forcing composers to up their production values.. and of course the price points are great.

I'm looking for a cheap place (website) that I can get Royalty Free Music.

The reason is has to be cheap is I'm not being paid as it's a uni project and the music needs to be royalty free.

Thanks

I don't understand why the music would need to be royalty free.

Royalty money comes out of the broadcaster's pocket not the film maker. And in the U.S.A no royalty money is generated from cinema showings and in almost every other country a film needs to generate over one million dollars at the box office before you get on the Performance Royalty Collection Agency's map.

But I read here often people looking for royalty free music so can someone explain to me why?

Moved to Classified Ads, too much promoion in it.

No indie filmmaker wants to be bothered with accounting and paying out quarterly payments based on units sold.

But mechanical and composer royalties are not collected on DVD sales of films. So unless you had an arrangement with your composer that he would get a percentage of units sold you would not be paying anything out. The default position is no royalty per unit sold. Royalties are only collected from public broadcasting and once the film maker fills out a cue sheet they have no more to do. Performance Royalty Organizations do the collecting and distributing.

But mechanical and composer royalties are not collected on DVD sales of films. So unless you had an arrangement with your composer that he would get a percentage of units sold you would not be paying anything out. The default position is no royalty per unit sold. Royalties are only collected from public broadcasting and once the film maker fills out a cue sheet they have no more to do. Performance Royalty Organizations do the collecting and distributing.

More than anything, film makers, including myself, feel comfortable using Royalty Free Music.... while the chances of our doors getting knocked down for collection is slim, but it's a comfort zone we like to stay in. I like to know that no matter what, my music cannot be challenged. (By that I mean a festival can't give me a hard time about it or whatnot)

By the way I finally went over to "JewelBeat" because it had been mentioned a few times in this thread. I took a brief look at it and very much like the concept, though I don't really get the flash drive thing. (I'll do more reading later) at 99c per royalty free track, if they are quality thats a screaming deal.

EDIT: I checked out Jewel Beat and it is amazing... I found 2 tracks I desperately needed.... I actually found a track for my Indiana Jones film that sounds exactly like the Indiana Jones theme, just altered and lower. Between this and Kevin MacLeod's stuff (incompetech), there's plenty of cheap, if not free stuff on the net.

Last edited:
www.SmartSound.com has a cool set of features for adding high-impact royalty free music to your project. They are the only ones with this patented process that makes the music the exact length that you want. Most of the music also comes with each instrument on a separate track so you can arrange the sound to fit your project. It works great, and saves a bunch of time.

Soundtrack Pro has a long list of free tracks in many styles. The tracks are horribly overused (I hear them in low-budget TV commercials all the time), but if you just want music that fits your project and don't care where it comes from, it's a useful source. I'm sure you know somebody with a copy.

Back