MASKS??

I'm in the early stages of pre production for a short horror film and in the film the intruders/killers wears masks. We have went over various types of masks that would best fit the look we are going for and finally found one online that we can buy. But my question is, can we use a mask that we buy online in a film or is there some sort of copyright infringement? Do we have to make our own? Not sure how this works.

Get back to me.

Thanks

Depends upon the mask. If it's even vaguely recognizable you may have the possibility of issues.

However....

"Halloween" (1975) [From IMDB] the prop department had to use the cheapest $2 mask that they could find in the costume store: a Star Trek William Shatner mask. They spray-painted the face white, teased out the hair, and reshaped the eye holes.

You should always consult with competent legal representation and not rely on internet opinions.

make your own masks with plaster-maché and a clay mold, painting/decorating them to your liking. This guarantees that there will be no legal snags and your masks will be one of a kind. we made one clay mold for all 9 of the masks used in my short film earlier this year. not only are they extremely durable, but they're also far creepier than anything a perfect plastic mold would produce.

plaster cloth
(we used a 20 lb box for all of the masks and still had a bunch left over for future projects)
and regular ol' gray clay

Back