How did El Mariachi get so big with such poor quality?

If most films were made that cheap with that bad of picture and even worse, sound quality, and using ADR even, it would be rejected by most film festivals. However El Mariachi went big, and boosted off Robert Rodriguez's career? How is that his film was the exemption to the rules? Did the producers just have really good international connections to get it shown in theatrical releases all over the world or what?

Preference and reality, two different things. It didn't happen like that for him, and It's okay that someone else dumped money into his movie after the fact. It goes beyond just selling the movie, right now Rodriguez is an actual name, so even if he didn't have stars in his movie he could get money attached and theatrical distro.

No matter what he did before, it worked out because he had a good product. That's all that matters, honestly. The rest are minor details.

It just so happens, though, that now-a-days you can tackle everything you need on a near-theatrical-release-ready scale. 5.1 Audio, proper gamma for projection in digital or film-transfer formats, so on and so forth.

Yeah. Since you can tackle it on that scale, I thought I would have seen a lot more El Mariachi's by today.

Yeah. Since you can tackle it on that scale, I thought I would have seen a lot more El Mariachi's by today.

When you say "El Mariachi", you're saying "Decent/Competent, watchable, saleable"

Well, yeah, of course you're not seeing a lot of them. =] That's just how scarce a decent/competent/watchable/saleable micro/nano budget feature film is, man.

How many f'ing times are we going to see the alien invasion movie.

Since now... or since the 1930s? Not a new genre, or a new concept at all.

As far as RR goes, he made dozens of shorts on VHS before shooting bedhead which got him awards and exposure... getting him his contacts in TX that in turn hooked him up in LA. He spent the time working on his craft before getting the contacts that got him famous. He built the relationships over time. Time and dedication/faith.

Yeah but most producers prefer boom to ADR still.

Yes, but I've seen projects that do neither and just use the camera mic.

Even so - I have a boom, blimp, support and wind muff, but all that wrapped around the mic has not kept me from doing extensive ADR, especially when my cast is talking through gas masks.

ExileSlaydenbyhabitat.jpg

I posted in the past about shooting in a fog tent on windy days. The plastic blows around every boom mic is going to hear that. A lot of "exterior" shots are actually done in an enclosed set, but the live audio let's you hear the reflections off the walls. ADR time.

Are you going to boom your speedboat, car convertible or storm scenes? Sure for reference, but the finished dialogue will be ADR. I've created a few alien planet sets in my backyard, but the truth is, there is a main street and traffic, just 3 blocks away. More ADR.

Speaking of EL MARIACHI-style, I shot a feature, TERRARIUM, that same way. I shot with a Canon Scoopic silent 16mm camera. The camera itself was too noisy to record any sync sound. Like EL MARIACHI we shot the film take, then had the actors perform it again, just to capture the audio. It was a necessary process and the more care you take, the better it works. My sync was much better, because I edited the sound on a computer. Very few knew about the dubbing.

So it became big because he shot an action movie for $10,000, as it was worded before. But it's not an action movie really, is it? I mean we get a few takes of people being shot, and a take of a guy jumping in and out of a truck, and he lands in front of a bus. All that adds up to about 1-2 minutes of action that the most, but does that count it as an action film? That's like a "comedy" with only 1-2 minutes of gags.

I believe horror is the worst of all? Please explain... The same closed minded and ignorant comment can be made about any other genre of film.

It's not that horror is the worst, it's just that a lot of horror movies today are poorly written. Not a bad genre, but for some reason it attracts a lot of bad scripts. Not saying that to be ignorant or close minded, I am trying to judge a lot of those movies fairly compared to what we have in other genres.

Last edited:
most misleading quote ever....

Everything you need to know about filmmaking you can learn in 10 minutes

That's the biggest load of shiite I've ever heard. First off, he misquotes Orson Welles, who was actually quoting his CITIZEN KANE cinematographer Gregg Toland when he said "Everything you need to know about filmmaking can be learned in two to three days".

All of which is fine and dandy.... when you already have years and years of experience like RR did when he made his first feature film and Gregg Toland was an elder statesmen from the birth of cinema. Rodriguez is insanely talented. He already KNOWS a lot about filmmaking when he shows you what to do in his Ten Minute Film Schools. They're a joke because there are a million things he's NOT telling you in those videos or important details that slip through the cracks because he takes for granted that he already learned technique and storytelling from doing it so long.

Filmmaking is a life long endeavor to learn and grow in your art. No one stops learning. Ten minutes my ass. Ten years of learning will still be the tip of the iceberg.

Of course it’s subjective, but I’d say that a lot of action movies
are poorly written. A lot of comedies are poorly written. A lot of
dramas are poorly written. So far I am not convinced that poor
writing is more prevalent in horror than in other genres.

most misleading quote ever....

It is a bit misleading, but that's hype for you. It may be accurate to say you can learn everything you need to know about filmmaking in 10 minutes, but you certainly cannot learn everything you need to know in order to make a film.

Ten years of learning will still be the tip of the iceberg.

Totally agree. In my case, 33 years making films so far, still learn something every day from all y'all. :yes:

Back