Second Round of Auditions

sfoster

Staff Member
Oh would I appreciate a line producer right about now.
Over 50 auditions coming up.. i've contacted about half the applicants now and scheduled times.

A couple people look a little older even though they may be in the age range I requested. I don't want to tell them that though, seems rude.

What do you think I should say? I want to at least say thanks for your interest but no thanks in some polite way instead of ignoring them.

What would/do you do?

did you already schedule times for the people you'll be rejecting? if not, i'd just shoot them an email explaining you're very specific about the look of that specific character, but you'll be keeping their headshot/resume for future reference.

I posted an AD and these people all responded.
I've never had any direct contact with a lot of them.

But I did call about half now and schedule times.
I was asking about the half that I didn't call.

Also some sent video links and I didn't get a good vibe from their acting in the work. Do you think I should audition them anyway or is that a waste of everyones time?

One girl sent an amazing reel, I told her she is already in the callbacks once I narrow down her boyfriends and can start testing a few couples for the best chemistry

Just say the position has been filled for those you know are going to be a no-go. I'd always audition more people than less, even if you think some of them aren't as good at acting as others. There might be a spark of something unique that you really like in one of those people.

I'm merely speculating here, as I've only held a couple auditions and only like four people showed up each time. Good luck! One way or another, I think most people who are willing to act for free are more than willing to show up for the opportunity to be in a film. Bottom line, even if they don't get the part they get audition experience and if you so choose, some valuable feedback on what to do better next time.

Just say the position has been filled for those you know are going to be a no-go. I'd always audition more people than less, even if you think some of them aren't as good at acting as others. There might be a spark of something unique that you really like in one of those people.

I'm merely speculating here, as I've only held a couple auditions and only like four people showed up each time. Good luck! One way or another, I think most people who are willing to act for free are more than willing to show up for the opportunity to be in a film. Bottom line, even if they don't get the part they get audition experience and if you so choose, some valuable feedback on what to do better next time.

My producer put up some money so it's $100-$200 depending on the role.
Thanks!

Yeah better to audition more than less - I know it's not my problem but I look at the driving time for some of them and it makes me feel bad. An hour each way and I feel like they're probably not going to land the role.

I've only auditioned once.. I would never reject someone based off a look or headshot honestly. If I did that I'd have passed up my favorite actress of all time, barbara stanwyck. But age or a vibe from a linked video is a different story. I just hope it's not a rookie error on my part.

perhaps it's a good idea to put a disclaimer on your emails saying that there are a LOT of people auditioning for these parts, so there will be a lot of people who don't get the part...or something of that nature. That way you cover your own ass if somebody does decide to go "well i only drove this far because i am a good actor and i should have gotten the part! blah blah blah"

i wouldn't worry about it though. in my experience, people are clamoring just to audition, let alone act in a film.

perhaps it's a good idea to put a disclaimer on your emails saying that there are a LOT of people auditioning for these parts, so there will be a lot of people who don't get the part...or something of that nature. That way you cover your own ass if somebody does decide to go "well i only drove this far because i am a good actor and i should have gotten the part! blah blah blah"

i wouldn't worry about it though. in my experience, people are clamoring just to audition, let alone act in a film.

People are clamoring for the good roles but lets be honest auditioning is the worst part of being an actor.

I've played in a lot of competitive tournaments. Even though there is only one winner it still always sucks to lose.

Upon consideration of your disclaimer idea, I would hate to discourage someone that would have been the best. Talent and self confidence aren't always correlated. Lots of insecure actresses out there.

would I appreciate a line producer right about now.

Kind of overkill ;)

A couple people look a little older even though they may be in the age range I requested. I don't want to tell them that though, seems rude.

What do you think I should say? I want to at least say thanks for your interest but no thanks in some polite way instead of ignoring them.

You don't have to say anything. Actors know that if they don't hear back from you, they didn't get the audition. That being said, I do suggest a different tact. A non-descript rejection message would be better. Something along the lines of "Thanks for your application. This time you were not successful in securing an audition. I encourage you to apply for other productions in the future." Word it how you'd like to word it.

Upon consideration of your disclaimer idea, I would hate to discourage someone that would have been the best.

I agree. There's no point in discouraging the potential best applicant from turning up.

I've only auditioned once.. I would never reject someone based off a look or headshot honestly. If I did that I'd have passed up my favorite actress of all time, barbara stanwyck. But age or a vibe from a linked video is a different story. I just hope it's not a rookie error on my part.

This is something you'll learn with experience. You'll learn to read between the lines of each application as you gain more appropriate experience. A general rule, if in doubt, audition them.

you should let me do a "cameo." Do you have any spots available for, like a News Anchor or something like that which could be shot separate from the main production?

you should let me do a "cameo." Do you have any spots available for, like a News Anchor or something like that which could be shot separate from the main production?

as a matter of fact i do need a news anchor in the finale, that would be cool.
give me a month or so i'll have the script for it.

Rejection messages are difficult. I've always had a philosophy of trying to be as nice to people as possible. It's amazing how, in a small country, you continuously run into people who know the people you've worked with - it'd be easy to develop a bad rep. You also never know when you might need someone in future (that terrible actor with the crazy hair? maybe he's the exact image you need for a background character in your next project).

Personally one of the worst part about rejection messages is the generic nature of them. Chances are that person put in a fair bit of time and effort to come and audition. Try give them a little feedback, if you can.

But that gets difficult when you have to write 40+ rejection emails.

Is feedback always appreciated? I'm not so sure.

I wouldn't. Your job isn't to teach them. Your job is to pick the best people for your project. The very reason someone isn't suitable for your project may make them perfect for another.

Even if you're right, what do you hope to accomplish?

Shrug. I guess I have a more personal relationship with people I work with. I've only lived in my current city for just over a year, and I'm already encountering people on multiple projects, so you become friends with a lot of them. Come from being in a relatively small country, I guess. I don't think either approach is wrong.

That said, on larger projects I don't tend to give much in the way of feedback. I do try and avoid mass, generic rejection messages though - no one likes to be treated like a number.

Shrug. I guess I have a more personal relationship with people I work with. I've only lived in my current city for just over a year, and I'm already encountering people on multiple projects, so you become friends with a lot of them. Come from being in a relatively small country, I guess. I don't think either approach is wrong.

That said, on larger projects I don't tend to give much in the way of feedback. I do try and avoid mass, generic rejection messages though - no one likes to be treated like a number.

I'd gladly give feedback if it was solicited.
A director needs to have some sort of relationship with his actors, so I assume that we are all friendly with them ?

I do think that auditions are the worst part of being an actor though. No one wants the process to drag on.

Back