• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

From Short Scripts to Feature Length

When I was a teenager I first attempted a feature length script. From memory it was a sci-fi comedy/parody that took a lot of sci-fi films and turned certain scenes from them into something funny. I can't remember how many pages I ended up typing but I want to say it was more than 40, however I never finished it. I don't even have it any more. And, I haven't attempted a feature length script since (I'm now in my early 30s). But I think I have found a short script of mine that I can turn into a feature length one, and now I want to make another attempt at a feature length but this time I want to go through with it.

Who else has experienced something similar, and what kind of script was it that you wrote for your first feature length one?

Last edited:
Hi.

The weirdest things in my life have happened around my attempt to write that first feature. The story is about a red Porsche being stolen and I immediately knew from which parking spot it'd be stolen in the city where I wasn't even from. I didn't know how to structure a movie, so I got to page 20 or something and realized that no matter what I do now the story will get boring. That intrigued me, so I decided to spend as much time it takes to figure out how the real writers do that.

One day I moved to this town and by coincidence the apartment I got was located on first floor, exactly where that car was stolen in my story. I obviously decided to finish the script in this apartment. The day I got the second draft ready it got even creepier. As I went out there stood a red Porsche parked in that exact spot. That was 1999. 2013 I finished the script in a way where I am fully satisfied. The best I've got.

It seems like you were meant to write that screenplay then Filman :)

I recently did a writing course. Not for screenwriting but for novel writing. One of the things I can carry over from that course is a way that I can approach my scriptwriting. The main reason I have stuck with writing short scripts all these years is because they didn't seem as daunting to me to write but now with this new approach I can flesh out my stories even more so they can be feature length.

My first feature was based on a short I made too. I did two short films based on Little Red Ridding Hood, but the twist was that the wolf was a cannibal named Wulf. For the feature version, I used the basic format of Friday the 13th, and established more the cannibals story and such. Worked out pretty well.

Back