Converting stage play into screen play

Hi Everyone,

I've written a full-length stage play, The Gringo Who Stole Christmas -- a comedic Latino twist on A Christmas Carol -- that I think would work great as a film, and I'm seeking guidance on converting it into a screenplay.

The play has had several successful readings, the latest at Players Theatre in The Village, NYC. I'd be happy to send along the stage play or engage in discussion about converting it. In a nutshell, my play tells the bittersweet tale of a self-loathing Latino forced to confront his troubled past—and re-embrace his ethnic heritage—to save his soul and win back his childhood sweetheart.

Best,
Dave

The short answer is that there are 2 ways to do it:

1. Learn to write a screenplay, either by taking classes (I studied at the New School in NYC) or by reading booking and studying screenplays.
or
2. Hire someone to do it for you.

You're not likely to find anyone to do it for free, as most screenwriters have more than enough ideas of our own (no sarcasm intended).

Thanks for your reply. I kinda knew I should beef up my screenwriting skills, which are just a few notches above basic. Guess I didn't want to face that fact. It's a challenge because most scenes in a movie are so much shorter than in a play. So I'd have to reimagine much of what I've written for stage.

Would you recommend any online screenwriting courses for people who have already some experience, however limited?

Thanks again.

I assume you're looking for more generic advice on the process or what to avoid, rather than the technical differences between a screen script and a stage play script.

In general, I've found screenplay adaptations of stage plays to be easily identifiable as such: heavy on dialogue; limited, usually interior, locations; and a general lack of strong visual imagery.

Having said that, I don't think the goal is to erase the material's origins; rather, it's the same in cinema as it is in theater: to tell a good story. If the original material is good, it should carry within itself the solid bones needed to do move it into another medium. Within limits, moving from stage play to screen opens up a lot of possibilities that you can exploit to make it even better.

I'd recommend looking at some successful adaptations, like "The Lion In Winter," or this year's "Fences."

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm seeking guidance on converting it into a screenplay.
What do you need? Do you need screenwriting software? Do you
need format guidance? Are you looking for a writer to adapt the
play for you?

If you're looking for an on line screenwriting course try THIS LINK

May I suggest you just go for it? Give it a try. I'm sure you've seen
many movies adapted from stage plays. If not I'll give you a list
of ones to watch. But, seriously, just go for it. You can change and
rewrite and rework it until you get what you feel is a good adaptation.

Hi Directorik,

Thanks for the push, and the tips. I do use Final Draft, so I'm set with software. I guess it's a bit overwhelming to reimagine my play and break up long scenes into far shorter ones. My play also has music, so there's that complication too. I'd welcome a list of movies adapted from stage plays! That way, I can search for the scripts and compare them.

You're right, of course. Rewrite and rework. Go for it is what I'll do.

I guess it's a bit overwhelming to reimagine my play and break up long scenes into far shorter ones. My play also has music, so there's that complication too.
What a wonderful challenge for a writer!

Do you feel you have the drive to attempt those complications?
Is adapting your play into a screenplay something that you have
passion for?

A little advice; you have twice mentioned breaking up long scenes
for shorter ones. That isn't always necessary. Have you seen "Sleuth"?
One location, four characters. What about 2011's "Carnage" based on
Yasmina Reza's "God of Carnage"? Same thing - one location, four
characters. Long scenes in both.

What plays adapted to screenplays have you already read or seen? That
way I don't give you example you know already.

directorik:

What stageplays-into-movies have I seen? Hmmm. ... there's Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof and Glengarry Glen Ross. Lion King. The usual suspects. I haven't seen Sleuth or Carnage, but I'll check them out.

I do feel I have the drive to see this project through, and I agree that a screenplay adaptation could stretch me, and the story, in new directions. I am juggling several projects, but this one -- converting my play into a movie -- has been on the back burner way too long. Time to get cracking on it.

Dave

Hey, Gringo,

I'm happy to have a little look in the month of May (after May 8th) if you'd like. I'm too invested in my own projects to give it a serious re-write but if it's a stage play, it'll be pretty easy to turn into something else.

Incidentally, I'm a Chinese dude in the UK (mum was Chinese) so am interested in this kind of multi-cultural story. Plus the Dickens origins intrigues me.

So PM me if you'd like and I'll have a look after May 8th.

Hi gorillaonbike --

Great to get your reply, and I was impressed with your profile. I'd be happy to send you the script next month for you to look at. How do I private message you? Maybe email would be ideal? BTW, I've written lyrics for songs in my play -- it's a comedy with songs, as opposed to a pure musical -- which we can talk about as well.

Dave

Back