• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to handle character name changes?

Hi...

In one of my projects, some of the characters use false names, and their true names are only revealed later. I want to write this in the way that is most readable and understandable to people reading the script the first time through.

What I have done to this point, is name the characters by their actual names in the description when they first appear, then let the dialog play out the name shenanigans.

Is there a better way to do this? The only other way I see is when the character appears to call them by their false name, then switch to their actual name after it it revealed. That seems more cumbersome and less consistent throughout the script to me. Another way is to put both names in the first appearance description and each piece of dialog until the final names is revealed, such as "BOB/TED" or "BOB (TED)" though this seems awkward and the latter is easily mistaken for parenthetical action.

Suggestions?

In Spec Script writing (and I believe in all formats) you should NEVER change a name title throughout a script no matter what happens in the story. The name you assign them in the script is the name that should signify that character every time they talk.

Bob, known only as Ted to all his friends, is a 20 year old caucasian male of an average height and slimming figure.

Something like that for his entry line could work to tell the reader that he will be referred to as Ted by others.

The character name is the identity. So if you have a character with two identities they will have two names. To mark the transition, you use a slash. Parentheses after a name are reserved for (O.S. and V.O).

So we meet CLARK KENT at the Daily Planet. We see SUPERMAN saving the day. These two identities have different attributes. Sometimes you need to introduce a character.

The DARK RANGER watched from the woods. The Dark Ranger speaks then moves into the light and pulls back its hood to reveal DARK RANGER/ARAGORN speaks to you. Henceforth, we only use ARAGORN after the reveal.

The one exception is when you have people in different bodies which makes tracking very difficult. Here you might have BOB who is transferred into TOM's body and vice versa. Now you might see BOB (TOM) and TOM (BOB). I've also seen it BOB/TOM and TOM/BOB. I would tend to opt for the latter since you could still have an off camera shot or voiceover for your transplanted person.

Generally if you're simply playing name shenanigans, just stay with the original name. So
Code:
                         TOM
         You fool.  I [U]am[/U] Bob Trent.

DAVE
         You put your wife through hell just
         for the insurance money? 

Tom flips off the safety as he points at Dave with 
Cheryl's gun.

TOM
         She always had you, didn't she?

Gun fires twice and Dave's body collapses.        

TOM
          Until she killed you too.

Hmm...the problem is that of the two characters involved, one does not know his real name, and the other is willfully concealing his name. But this gets resolved in the first ten to 15 pages, I don't want to keep the characters using the false names for another 90 pages.

The one who doesn't know his name is easier to deal with, but the one willfully using a false name essentially only does so for a single scene.

Using the actual names is I think better, but I'm not sure how a first time reader will make the transition without getting confused. The dialog makes it fairly obvious as it occurs, but still...

EDIT: Actually for the second character using the false name until the reveal and then switching might be appropriate. I'll write it up both ways and see.

Last edited:
Hmm...the problem is that of the two characters involved, one does not know his real name, and the other is willfully concealing his name. But this gets resolved in the first ten to 15 pages, I don't want to keep the characters using the false names for another 90 pages.

The one who doesn't know his name is easier to deal with, but the one willfully using a false name essentially only does so for a single scene.

Using the actual names is I think better, but I'm not sure how a first time reader will make the transition without getting confused. The dialog makes it fairly obvious as it occurs, but still...

Treat it like a transition then.
Code:
INT. HOSPITAL - DAY

A nurse checks the I.V. of a patient, JOHN DOE (20s), in rather
ragged condition.  His eyes flicker as she turns to a monitor.

She turns back and startles as his hand touches hers.

NURSE
        Let me get the doctor.

The grip tightens.

JOHN DOE
                  (croaky)
        Where?

She regards him and starts to pull away gently.

NURSE
         Dr. Oberhaus is overseeing your case.

She disappears.  After a moment, she reappears with a fresh
faced intern, DR. OWENS (early 30s).  He approaches and
and checks John's reflexes.

OWENS
          You've created quite the ruckus here.
          Do you recall your name?

There is a flicker of understanding then confusion clouds John's
eyes.  His head turns away.

OWENS
                  (to nurse)
          See if you can schedule physical therapy
          for John starting tomorrow.
                  (to John)
          For the last month, you've been here in 
          coma.  Our mysterious John Doe.

John goes to move but cannot.  Owens pats him on the shoulder.

OWENS
          It's going to take some time to regain
          your strength.  If you need anything, I'm
          sure Nurse Callahan can help.

He smiles, nods to the nurse and leaves.

NURSE / CALLAHAN
           I'm going to get you some ice chips.  I'll
           be back.

She leaves.

INT. HOSPITAL HALL - DAY

Owens stands outside as Callahan exits.  She pauses and the
two walk away from the door.

OWENS
           You're not to tell Oberhaus.  If he learns
           Stewart's awake -

CALLAHAN
           Why didn't you just kill him?

OWENS
                  (voice drops)
           That cop kept hovering around.  I suspect
           John is about to have a stroke.  Keep the
           others away from him.

There is a tacit nod as the two separate.

...  later in the script

John has Owens pinned to the ground, arm to his throat.

JOHN DOE
            Why the hell are you trying to kill me?

Owens tries to shake him off.

OWENS
            You're a liability, Stewart.  One that our
            associates can't have wandering about.

John shakes his head.

JOHN DOE
             Stewart?  You've known who I am this
             whole time?

His grip intensifies and Owens eyes bulge as he gasps for air.

JOHN DOE / STEWART
             Are you really a doctor?  Is it Owens?

John straddles him and sits back.  Owens rubs his throat.

OWENS
             It doesn't matter.  You're a dead man.

STEWART
             Not from where I'm sitting.

A deep voice calls from behind.

OBERHAUS (O.S.)
             He will be, when I get what I want, Jacobs.

Stewart spins around only to be cold cocked.

OBERHAUS
             You're lucky I still need you.  But that,
             I suspect, will can change - very soon.

Owens raises himself as he rolls John's body to the side.
There is no reason to change the character name. Just as the audience visually will always identify the character by the face, the reader associates to the name. Changing it midway through is confusing. It's fine to go from less specific to more specific (Nurse to Callahan). The character name is a visual identity for the reader that carries through. If Owens is called Jacobs later, that's fine. I already have a picture for him as Owens in my head. John Doe, like Nurse, is just an alias. You can change it or carry it along as John.

There are no hard & fast rules. However, it's preferable to keep name changes to a minimum. As a general guide, I make transitions only from generic to specific. If I have a previously named character, they retain that name. Specifically because as an AD or producer, I need to track what scenes actors appear in for call sheets. If I have to track multiple names for the same character, it can result in confusion. My preference when preparing a script breakdown is that character names are unique and unchanging. In the case of "transferred bodies" always lead with who is seen since that's the actor that needs to appear in the scene. TOM / BOB is the actor who plays Tom acting like Bob inside.

Just my suggestions.

Thanks FantasySciFi. I think we are in agreement. I want to keep changes to a minimum, but there should only be one per character and they both happen early, so I want to get them out of the way and have the reader see the actual character names thereafter.

I made some changes to my script last night very much along the lines of your JOHN DOE/STEWART example. I like how it reads and flows, so I will keep it that way for now and then make a final decision some time in the revision process.

Thanks!

Back