• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

LGBT themed short film

Hello guys,

I am Vishal from India. Currently I am in the process of writing a script which is a LGBT themed story. The story is about an affection between two strangers developed in few meetings which were not even direct meetings. There were some consequences and coincidences which brought these two guys face to face few times...they never talk to each other ever but there was something unspoken, something beyond the words start in their Hearts. Its not a love story, its not about friendship. Its all about how sometimes without any reason human mind falls for someone.

I would like to know is here anyone who has done LGBT themed film before? please share your opinions, experiences.

Looking forward to hear from you guys!

Vishal

Last edited:
I've edited a LGBT short before.

I always say, unless it's high concept, it's hard to work out much, except whether you have a personal interest in the story from a logline. That being said, you may have trouble with not enough conflict in the story.

What else do you want to know?

I don't think the LGBT theme makes it different from any other story.
A good story is a good story.
Although the theme may not appeal to everyone.
Having said that: I don't know what Indian society thinks about gay people, but if they are not really welcoming to them, that could be a nice (inner) conflict for the characters.

I've edited a LGBT short before.

I always say, unless it's high concept, it's hard to work out much, except whether you have a personal interest in the story from a logline. That being said, you may have trouble with not enough conflict in the story.

What else do you want to know?

Thanks Sweetie,

I agree with what you said totally.

I believe the difference here is telling a story in LGBT context in country like India where same sex relationships have not yet legally approved and there is a stigma about anything in relation with LGBT.

If you don't mind may I know the name of the film which you have edited and its availability on YouTube or so, I would love to watch it.

Thanks for caring to reply.

Best,

Vishal

I don't think the LGBT theme makes it different from any other story.
A good story is a good story.
Although the theme may not appeal to everyone.
Having said that: I don't know what Indian society thinks about gay people, but if they are not really welcoming to them, that could be a nice (inner) conflict for the characters.

Hi Walter,

Very rightly said, irrespective of the subject any story is story.

However as you made the point like in country like India where same sex relationships are not so accepted is something which is challenging and it naturally create a kind of inner conflicts for the characters and somehow it will also reach to the audiences mind which is the very idea behind my story.

In the story which I am writing its not concrete about the other character that he is gay or he is not as it never come in the story objectively unlike it is very clear about a guy who is gay. I wanted to keep it that way as more than giving the shape to some emotions it touches more in untold and unspoken form.

I hope we will be able to translate this story in the cinema soon.

Thank you so much for caring to reply.

Cheers,

Vishal

Last edited:
If you don't mind may I know the name of the film which you have edited and its availability on YouTube or so, I would love to watch it.

It's called Life's a Drag. At the end of last year, we won best film at a local short film festival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjAqcEa5S8w

Nice work, Sweetie.

Vishal, you said, "..they never talk to each other ever but there was something unspoken, something beyond the words start in their Hearts. Its not a love story, its not about friendship. Its all about how sometimes without any reason human mind falls for someone."

That sounds rather like nothing really happens. As a member of the would-be audience, I have to say I'm rather skeptical about that. I might find it unsatisfactory.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to discourage you. You have your vision, and I'm sure you can make it work.

One small independent gay themed feature film I recently watched is called Soundless Wind Chime. It's nice. It does have a love story. It is about friendship. But it's also rather unconventional and untidy. I mean, its relationships aren't all wrapped up and nicely punctuated...like probably most of us tend to prefer. And I did find that a little unsatisfying.

On the other hand, it's also nicely poetic, impressionistic, and quite lovely. And all that is rather nice for a change. And it is those poetic aspects which remind me of what you say you'd like to do. It might be worth your while to check out.

Last edited:
There is an argument that, by stating and thinking LGBT you have made it a non-high concept. I am not gay, BUT I used to date a contact stripper for many years. What might have been considered "depravity" just a decade or two ago, became just normal run-of-the-mill for me with her female friends regularly being involved with each other. Whilst I was never involved in any "hot lesbian action" or duo etc stuff (primarily as I have zero taste for that) it was always a swirling environment around me. From this, I find that I am able to draw and developed my own screenplay in which a main character has a lesbian side, but its just normal humdrum. In my own screenplay, the protagonist's dumping of her noxious girlfriend in the opening pages creates the antagonist who will steadily become an increasing pain as the script proceeds. However, I have been able to draw on my experience and sense to be able to treat the jilted girlfriend to write her as behaving, fundamentally as "normal" rather than trying to shove LGBT in people's faces. Logically, it makes for "raising the concept" and, hopefully, increasing the box office and its marketability.

Back