Home
Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Newbies

IndieTalk is performing upgrades and will be back soon. Posting is disabled until further notice.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
icba pictures
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb378 View Post
I may have missed a couple of replies,... it seems ambitious to have aerial shots, and destroyed helicopters and planes and such? I may be totally wrong... again not trying to be nasty, just a few things to take into consideration, I do however applaud you for saving the money or selling your stuff to finance a film idea that you are obviously passionate about!
Ok, so a few details are as follows:
I have free use of an airplane, just pay for fuel. The owner/pilot of the airplane also builds airplanes. So reproducing part of a wing to smack against a tree is actually quite easy... and cheap. I also have a complete wood-shop at my disposal, as well as many metalworking tools, welders, plasma torch, tubing bender etc. Building the side of a helicopter (older military style to get into and out of the door only) also easy and cheap. Not super cheap mind you, but cheaper than the sound equipment. Maybe $500??? max if i include some unforeseen props. These items are also easier for me to do myself since I am much more familiar with carpentry and mechanics than I am with sound or film making. I am however spending as much time as I can taking photos in different lighting, angles, and locations to get a feel for being the "DP"... And as soon as I figure out what sound gear I can get, I will do the same with that. I have many friends (including aforementioned pilot) who are musicians etc. and won't mind if I "practice" recording things. I will try my hand at foley work as well.
On a side note, my sister has offered to get me hooked up with Kickstarter, but I don't think I'm even ready for that yet. I do plan on selling more stuff and saving where I can, but trust me, sound is high on my priority list. I just don't know enough about it yet...
icba pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #17
tomb378
Basic Member

Brilliant now it makes sense, with all that at my disposal I would definitely be making some big (short) films. before you had explained it just seemed like you may have bitten off more than you could chew if you get me.

but it seems like you defiantly have the props side of things down, if you have all that at your disposal you should try to get on some productions as a member of the art team, set building ect.

either way i really look forward to seeing some shots from your short, oh and if your thinking kick-starter or crowd funding, you could look at doing some behind the scenes stuff of your prop building and things like that so people can see what they are investing in!
tomb378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #18
icba pictures
Basic Member

tomb378... Great idea with the set design.!! (If I didn't already have a full time job (own a small repair shop) and have 4 kids... I actually applied for a job with a set/scene company when I was a teenager. They weren't hiring at the time. Adirondack Scenic was the name.) I will definitely start working on props and film it as I go. I found out my SX50HS doesn't do well in low light environments... A big bummer for me, but maybe will be able to light up the shop better as I work. I'll try to keep the project updated, is there a special place to post individual projects? Other than my blog ( http://mitchellsmovie.blogspot.com/ )...
Old 10-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
Lucky Hardwood
Basic - Premiere Expired

Do you have YouTube and Vimeo channels yet?
Lucky Hardwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
icba pictures
Basic Member

Good call Hardwood... Yes. I'll be posting progress videos there as I get them made.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #21
josephcadwell
Basic Member

What to Buy With $2K

That's a good starter amount! Definitely research things that will make you more money at this point. If you don't have a camera START THERE! Have a camera only with a terrible computer can make you money! I promise, I've done it!

At this point in my career I have been through five or more cameras, four different computer builds, two different kinds of sliders, four different types of mics, and much, much more. All of this is from my personal equipment. My recommendation, is get the best camera and lens package you can afford right now and work to make more money for better and extra equipment slowly.

At this point the two best things I've purchased in my opinion have been the DJI Ronin-S gimbal and Canon 5D. That camera is a bit outside of that budget, and at this point, for you I wouldn't suggest buying the Ronin-S, but definitely add it to your wish list! I promise it has made my videos better ten-fold and I'm charging even more for them now.

Here's a blog I wrote discussing my experience with cameras I have purchased in the past. It might help you choose:
http://josephcadwell.com/blogs/blogp...ra_120418.html

Hope this helps!
Joseph Cadwell
josephcadwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:40 PM   #22
scottspears
Basic - Premiere Expired

Pick up a used Panasonic GH4. You should shoot 4K to future proof your project. They are going for $400-700 on eBay. Get a couple lenses. Add $400

Tripod - Benro Aero 4 Video Travel Angel Tripod $200

Lighting - Dracast LEDs, a panel and a focusable light + stands $300-600

Rode NTG2 Shotgun mic $250

2 c-stands - $200

2 - 25' extension cords - $40

1- 50' extension cord - $20

Some gels

Scott
scottspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #23
Feutus Lapdance
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottspears View Post
Pick up a used Panasonic GH4. You should shoot 4K to future proof your project. They are going for $400-700 on eBay. Get a couple lenses. Add $400

Tripod - Benro Aero 4 Video Travel Angel Tripod $200

Lighting - Dracast LEDs, a panel and a focusable light + stands $300-600

Rode NTG2 Shotgun mic $250

2 c-stands - $200

2 - 25' extension cords - $40

1- 50' extension cord - $20

Some gels

Scott
A small Monitor perhaps?
Feutus Lapdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #24
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephcadwell View Post
Hope this helps!
Joseph Cadwell
Well, those posts are from 2012 - 6 years ago - so...
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #25
directorik
IndieTalk's Resident Guru

It's kind of fun to see a six year old thread bumped up and see
who replies. Scott shows up about once a year with always good
advice.

icba pictures never let us know if he started a YouTube or Vimeo
channel. I wonder if he ever made any movies.
directorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #26
josephcadwell
Basic Member

Yeah, I didn't think it would help the original poster anymore, but I figured if someone else ever googled that it might come up and maybe help someone else kind of in the same situation.
josephcadwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #27
El Director
Basic Member

Last time I bumped an old thread (it was on accident), I got yelled at by the mods lol
El Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #28
Runlevel Two
Basic Member

If they have a problem with necroposting, they should just lock old / inactive threads, instead of yelling at you.
Runlevel Two is offline   Reply With Quote