• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 'Double Down' - 48 Hour Film (5DmkII)

This is my film team's latest narrative short - completed for the recent 48 Go Green competition. We picked up best ensemble acting (despite one of the lead actors bailing the day of the shoot!) and it was runner up for best picture in the San Francisco portion of the competition. Enjoy - and feedback is always welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOCQ1WzH-pI

That was cool!

Some ambient office sounds (phones ringing, etc.) could color things up a little. I liked your two shots with the ladies over the shoulder.

Really good. Especially for 48 hours.

I'd say that the acting was good across the board and some of it was pretty funny. I like the money shot at the end (wasn't expecting to see it!) and the 'twist' final segment with Felicia was kinda funny.

My only slight criticism is that it could probably have been leaner, some of the conversations between main guy and his friend could have been stripped down by 10 or 20 seconds each. Just started to drag a little...

But, no, that was really excellent and well done!

Thanks for the feedback everyone, glad you guys enjoyed it. There actually is an 'office ambiance' track in the background of all their dialogue scenes - phones ringing, printers going, footsteps, etc. I felt it was a little distracting when it was louder but I may have overcompensated and brought it too low. I'll take another listen, I also ran it through a low-pass to help keep it separate from the dialogue but maybe I took too much off the top end.

Honestly, I couldn't hear the office ambient track at all. It might be a YouTube thing and the mix for DVD/BD is a different. Good question for those with a lot of encoding experience.

Minor note: the shadows on the ceiling in the bathroom stall scene tell us where the light is coming from - not a natural place for bathroom light. If you lit the ceiling with a slightly stronger light, it may have gone away.

Correction: a subjective note. ;)

Ok, I just watched the youtube version for the first time, on my built-in laptop speakers instead of my studio monitors... and I just want to yell at somebody to answer the phone! Seriously, am I just hearing the ambient sound because I'm listening for it?

The bathroom scene lighting could definitely use some work. Those were some of the last shots we did, at the end of a long day of shooting, and we just wanted to get them done. We'd also already spent an inordinate amount of time lighting the shots outside the bathroom door to try and eliminate odd shadows, so we were trying to move faster at the end. Ultimately we just didn't put enough time into those setups.

That's one of the drawbacks of timed competitions like this, we've become pretty good at them but no matter what at some point you have to compromise to get things done in time. The upside though is that we actually get films done, this was #19 for us and we just finished our 20th short in just over 3 years - I don't think we would have anywhere close to that many if not for the competition deadlines. We have decided to put together at least one short this year that's not on a timed deadline so that we have the time to really get everything right.

Thanks Gustamize! Thing is - I did turn up the ambient office sounds after the screening and before uploading to youtube because I felt they were too quiet in the theater.

Last edited:
Well done ! my only pick and PLEASE don't pick my stuff cuz I know I will have MORE, is that in the interview scene , the bald guy's shirt, pants & the table were blown out. Good even lighting other than that. Fun to watch and funny, dirty subject. Adam Sandler style

in the interview scene , the bald guy's shirt, pants & the table were blown out. Good even lighting other than that. Fun to watch and funny, dirty subject. Adam Sandler style

Thanks, and yeah... that's my fault. I'm the bald guy! I'm also usually the main camera op... and the show host is our other cameraman. We set up the shots, got in place, and one of the other crew members looked at the camera and said 'hey your shirt looks a little bright'. We were in a hurry, so what was my response? 'Don't worry, the LCD always looks brighter than the final shot'. Lessons learned, listen to your crew... and stay behind the camera, not in front!

We did throw on the 'bad tv' filter in FCP to try and help justify it a bit visually, but the scan lines and noise basically disappear once you drop down from HD to SD... it's a problem I've run into with adding noise or grain to shots as well, you almost need to create an SD version with stronger filter settings just to get it to show up online.

Liked the continuity of the shots, it was well edited, nice timing between closeups and medium shots.

Agree with the others, sound effects for the office, just to make it sound more hustle and bustle-but well acted and some clear crisp footage.

Congrats on the awards! It really was well done!

Dude, was that real turd you used? Eew!

That was a great short! Funny, well-written, lively paced. The actors delivered a good solid comedic performance. They're very likable. I'm not surprised you won the ensemble acting prize.

IndieBudget already mentioned the ghastly white shirt and table so I won't go into that.

(spoiler below)

My only other reservation is that is that the final twist (the two women discussing the buoyancy of turds) didn't quite worked. That was a good idea but that was a very difficult joke to pull. Maybe that was just too complex (is that even true that meaty turds tend to float?).

Maybe the dialogue here was too explanatory. I'm a big fan of comedies. I was re-watching some old "Frasier" episodes and it occurred to me that the best jokes were those where the audience does half the work. It's like you're a fly arriving in the middle of a conversation. At first you don't understand what the actors are talking about because they're unaware of your presence and they don't try to help you. So, you have to do some reconstruction yourself and when you get it it's even funnier. It's very hard to do because if you give the audience too much it's not funny and if you give them too little they won't get it.

I can't suggest an alternative here because I have no talent for comedy writing. Maybe it could have gone like this:
"- Are you sure he's a meat-eater?
-Yes, I'm sure! It was exactly one quarter above water level."

Anyways, the last twist was only the cherry on top. The cake was excellent, I really enjoyed it. Congratulations, it's great achievement to make people laugh.

I loved it.

I liked the titles and how they interact with the action. I'm a big fan of that type of stuff. Like Zombieland.

(spoiler below)

This whole post will be spoilers, but since it's on the second page I figure it doesn't matter at this point!

Dude, was that real turd you used? Eew!

No - it was Baby Ruth! And some yellow food coloring. We were inspired by the pool scene in Caddyshack... which, it turns out, is total bullshit! Pun intended, of course... we just assumed since the Baby Ruth floated in the pool in that movie it would float in the toilet. It was getting close to midnight after a long shoot when we dropped the first one in the toilet and it sank like a rock. Since our final joke depended on it floating we scrambled a bit to get it to work - we tried hollowing them out, hanging from strings, etc. Finally our AD found some wooden coffee stir sticks and rigged up stilts to hold the bars at water level, then we threw in some toilet paper to hide the stilts. Based on some of the reactions we got from viewers I think it worked out pretty well...

My only other reservation is that is that the final twist (the two women discussing the buoyancy of turds) didn't quite worked. That was a good idea but that was a very difficult joke to pull. Maybe that was just too complex (is that even true that meaty turds tend to float?). (...) Maybe the dialogue here was too explanatory.

I know what you mean, that's one of the hardest parts of comedy, or even filmmaking in general - if you explain too much you'll bore the audience, too little and they may not get the joke or what you mean. We're always going back and forth on that kind of thing, there's several examples in this movie in fact. A good one is the 'asparagus clause' line... in the original script he mentions that in the very first scene, asking if there are any exceptions, like an asparagus clause. We shot it that way, and even then the actors thought it might be too obscure a reference. So we let them improv a couple takes where they actually spelled out why there needed to be an asparagus clause, even though I knew we probably wouldn't use it. Once I got the rough cut together I confirmed it was too much explanation and took it out - but then I started thinking maybe the whole first discussion of it was too much as well. So I cut it out entirely - I knew some people wouldn't get it, but for those that did it would be better to have it be new, and sudden, rather than rehashing an earlier joke.

For the last joke we decided to be a little more literal for a couple reasons. One - I have no idea if that's even true. We found some online reference to floating turds meaning you were getting too much fat in your diet, and a semi-militant pro-vegetarian site discussing the environmental impact of eating meat, so we sort of made the connection ourselves - if it turned out she was 'really serious' about the environment she'd know (and care about) things like that. But since we don't even know if it's true we have to assume most people would have no idea what we were talking about. Plus, I just thought it was funnier to have this quiet, somewhat dramatic scene in which one girl just blurts out 'not if his shit floats!' On the other hand, we left her final line unexplained, although we didn't quite shoot it that way. As shot the line goes something like "5000 gallons of water per pound of meat, not to mention the greenhouse gasses! How could he do that to the earth?!?" But after watching it it just felt too long, too literal, it weakened the final scene, and we figured it's much more common knowledge that raising livestock has a large environmental impact so we didn't have to spell it out.

Anyway - that's the constant battle we go through with everything we shoot. We have an idea, we spell it out, then we go back and forth on how much to leave or take out right up until it's done. Sometimes we've had jokes that we stripped down so far they get completely missed by the audience... and other times I've sat in the audience cringing at something that just goes on too long. I have to say though that that's one of the great things about getting to see your work with a large audience - their reaction gives you a concrete answer to whether you got it right or not. It's one of the things I like most about these timed competitions, and one of the reasons we tend to mostly do local ones - you get to see your film screened theatrically with a full audience within a week of finishing it.

I liked the titles and how they interact with the action. I'm a big fan of that type of stuff. Like Zombieland.

Thanks! That's the one thing we didn't get done in the original 48 hours, we ran out of time and just submitted it with a static title card - although it didn't take long to add, so if we'd planned a little better I think we could have done it.

Last edited:
Awesome!

This is awesome! To make it in only 48 hours makes it even better! I liked the acting, and the ending was pretty funny as well!

-Matt Posada

Back