• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Dated premise

It is a fascinating conversation, skirting around semantics as well as storytelling. Ultimately, though, I guess advice that a premise is outdated is based on market factors rather than storytelling or filmmaking realities. It's very possible that whoever is giving this advice is wrong, but if they're the people controlling the budgets then there's not a lot to be done :)

It is a fascinating conversation, skirting around semantics as well as storytelling. Ultimately, though, I guess advice that a premise is outdated is based on market factors rather than storytelling or filmmaking realities. It's very possible that whoever is giving this advice is wrong, but if they're the people controlling the budgets then there's not a lot to be done :)

Yeah. That's it. If a producer says "Well, vampire movies are so 2000s. They're dated," then I guess either we find another producer, or they're dated :)

Anything and everything can be dated, overused, factually inaccurate, whatever. It's all in how you treat the subject matter.

In the music world the I-IV-I-V-IV or I-vi-IV-V chord progressions are incredibly overused, yet there are still hit songs using those chord progressions.

Might seem cynical but every premise is outdated at this stage. Every screenwriter with movies to their name will tell you that producers want "the same thing, only different". At this stage most "new" premises are just a mix of multiple premises all squashed together into a familiar yet original story.

Back