Experienced Executive Producer Needed

They don't have phones where you live? Why can't you pick up the phone and reconnect with those contacts?

I can't remember their names. Besides which, I was just an extra. For example there were people like directors flirting with me but married, so what could I say that's relevant now? I can't say 'Hey, you asked me out/flirted like crazy etc on the set of ------ way back in the day. How about...' can I?

And yes there were people who weren't flirting with me and we were friendly, but I can't remember their names and I don't know if it'd be any use talking to them anyhow. I noticed they haven't gone very far in their chosen career at the time, acting. Or maybe I spoke a couple of words with a major actor but, so what?

Not to hijack, but I have to agree that it would be good to experience first. Do a bunch of shorts. Make a few low budget features. Will you get paid for these? Not likely, but it's called paying your dues. I made forty shorts over the course of four years before doing my first feature. That film cost me $600 out of pocket to make. The next feature, only $200 (and it shows). My last one, shot in 2010 on a T2i was made for $2000. And to be honest, it looks like we had a lot more money than that. Am I making big bucks doing them? No, but all my films have made back their budget from DVD sales and YouTube ad revenue. Plus they gave me valuable experience which landed me a job producing TV programs overseas and also serving as a VFX sup on a documentary. My next film is budgeted at only $20,000 and is proving difficult to raise, even with a proven track record. I wish you the best in your endeavor, but if you're passionate about making films, go make some :)

so what could I say that's relevant now?

Whatever it takes to get in the door. You've got a brain in that head of yours right? It's networking. Use it. If it's too hard maybe this film making this isn't for you?

Hey - just changed my name and avatar but the avatar's the only one showing the changes. Does my account have to be closed and a new one opened for my new name to show? Thx!

Another filmmaker chasing finance. It's not that uncommon. This one isn't you. Someone I know, turned producer. It's getting common around here. So many people now trying to raise finance.

I've changed my opinion on the topic. It's just a shift in terminology more than anything. Getting the money isn't hard. It's getting the package to the point where the production is ready for investment that's the hard part. It's very much like bank financing. It's not hard to get the bank to say yes, you must have what they want.

It's painful because most of the time, what you have isn't what they want.

Actually I'm about to act on some of your advice

That's good. I think. What on earth did I say that made sense?

It's fine if you have a clue. For people like you and me, not so good to advertise that our clue cupboard is bare.

Back