Student Filmmaker Seeking Advice On Funding

Hey, I'm new here. I recently stumbled upon this amazing resource and hope to learn as much as possible. I apologize for the lengthy post, but I feel it will also make the job of those willing to help me much easier.

My situation is quite complicated and if you kindly bear with me, I'll try to provide all of the necessary information.

I'm currently a college student at a very prestigious national university. We do have a film studies program here, but it certainly isn't the schools most reputable program. In fact, it is so overlooked I am not even a member of the department even though I am greatly interested in making my own films.

Having said that, I am currently in the preliminary planning stages of making a low budget feature film that I hope to shoot locally. I have a pretty solid idea of the hardships, difficulties, and costs of making a feature length film, and I still won't be easily discouraged.

As I said before, I am not a film student. I want to pursue this purely for reasons some of you might call silly. Basically, I just want to create something that might draw local attention and could potentially lead to greater filmmaking opportunities. Essentially, I view this project as a modest attempt to get discovered.

My greatest concern right now is how to approach the issue of funding. Please note that I am not asking anyone on this board to invest in my film, I'm only seeking advice on what channels to go through. I hope to shoot the film on Super 16mm, because I'm strongly influenced by the mentality that film is still the most preferred medium (not to offend the DV people). On top of that, film still looks much better in my mind.

But shooting on film is more expensive (obviously). I anticipate the stock alone to cost me $10,000 if I shoot on about a 9:1 ratio. This will probably be the bulk of my cost. I'm hoping the other expenses won't bring me over another five to ten thousand, so my preliminary initial budget estimate is about $20,000 total, and I think that is being pretty conservative.

So where to get the money from? I'm not independently wealthy...I can probably put in $2,000 of my own money. The university I'm attending DOES offer student grants in arts and media. I haven't approached them yet because I wanted to wait until I have more solidified plans, but I think I can probably get $5,000 to $7,000 from the school plus some possible use of their equipment (some 16mm cameras, lighting devices, editing, etc.). It sounds like the main cost for me that I'll be on my own with as far as production goes will be the stock itself. And there is the minor possibility that the univeristy will have some connections, but I can't say for sure.

So I'm looking for about $10,000 dollars more now to cover the differences (post production fees, insurance, camera mobility equipment for certain days of the shoot, and all of the additional regular productions fees that will likely surface. I would like not to deal with loans or investors that I will have to pay back in case I don't turn a profit. It appears what I'm looking for would be grants outside of the university. Unfortunately many of the ones I've researched are for minorities or for filmmakers who are already in post production. I really haven't found anything worth applying for yet.

And for me to get all of this money handed to me to make my movie and take any profits it could potentially make is obviously far too good to be true. So here is the alternative I am considering: making the film NON-PROFIT. Obviously this wouldn't be my preferred choice, but if it is my only option, I'd take. As I mentioned before I'm not making this film to cash in, it is mainly a crude attempt to get some recognition and technical experience. Oh, and if I feel like the end product is something decent, I would potentially like to submit it to film festivals more slightly more exposure.

So if you could tell me of any grant possibilities, maybe even for students in particular, I would be greatly appreciative.

I suppose that's all I have to say for now. I'm eager to hear your responses. Obviously there is a lot of work to yet and I don't intend to shoot a single frame for quite some time.

Thanks in advance.

grmble...DV is the end all be all R0xor! ;)

I'd love to have HD, but that costs $$$ and sinced I don't see making profit off anything in the very near term, rental isn't an option...ownership allows me to have a day job and be a filmmaking hobbyist. Eventually, I'd love to just make films...until then, I have kids and a mortgage that has to be paid.

Is the HVX worth renting over the DVX? Absolutely. I'm rather fond of it's variable frame rates myself and the fact that you would be shooting on an industry standard format like DVCproHD would definitely help when trying to find a distributor. I know HDV can produce great images but the fact remains that many still see DVCproHD as being superior (and it is in some ways - notably the color sampling).

regarding 1080p on the HVX: yes you can, though quite frankly, I would shoot 720p myself. The jump to 1080 on that camera just isn't big enough visually to justify the additional space, workflow issues, and card storage times. Maybe for FX shots...

Regarding MiniDV:

It's both good and bad. :) I have absolutely no problem shooting fun things on miniDV. It's a superb learning format - especially with 24p and it has pretty decent image quality if you don't beat it up too badly in post. If your goal is to make money off a cinematic project it's certainly not ideal, if only for its low resolution. DV serves a critical purpose. It all depends on the level of the user and what sort of money is involved.

ACK!

I didn't realize that you hadn't even finished the script.

Regardless of what, where, when or how you shoot your film, you must concentrate on the script. All this planning is not wasted, but many times setting up the shoot and organizing your gear is just one more way of not concentrating on what really matters: a really really really great script.

Everything else is secondary.

Well considering that I probably don't intend to shoot a single frame until August or September anyway, I think I should have adequate time. I'm actually an engineering student here (even though I probably shouldn't be), so I will obviously be multitasking a great amount. The way I see it, I have until graduation. Right now I would just like to get the technicalities straightened out to see if the script is even worth finishing. (IE, if there is no point in shooting on video at all and there is no way of getting funding for 16mm, then maybe this isn't worth it).

I love film, but my advice is shoot video. I've shot several first time features for young directors and the budgets come in at no less than $27,000 and that's with a small crew and free cast.
Film stock:$6000
Processing: $2800
Telecine: $5000

DV stock: $200
HD stock: $200-1000 (depending on format)

Because you'll be working with lots of inexperienced folks, so things will not go as smoothly as you'd like and the pressure of know that thousands of dollars on the line will weigh heavily on you.

Get this one and maybe another under your belt and then consider shooting on film.

Scott

Just produced a feature on the HVX at 720PN. Definitely recommend it: in the short term it's cool because you GREATLY increase your drive space, and in the long run because you have a direct 24p to 24fps transfer should you be lucky enough to transfer to film. Plus the variable frame rates being only available in 720PN mode is a killer.

My god does it look gorgeous. Totally blown away by the HVX.

Just produced a feature on the HVX at 720PN. Definitely recommend it: in the short term it's cool because you GREATLY increase your drive space, and in the long run because you have a direct 24p to 24fps transfer should you be lucky enough to transfer to film. Plus the variable frame rates being only available in 720PN mode is a killer.

My god does it look gorgeous. Totally blown away by the HVX.

That sounds like my best option right now if I can get ahold of one with relative ease. I suppose I should check rental places or DPs for hire?

Return policies are not per product, they're per retailer. Do your research, see who sells them, and then decide if it's worth it. I personally would never do something like that to a small, indie retailer, and I would NEVER do it if I couldn't afford to buy it, just in case it gets broken. Film sets are rough places, and they definitely won't take it back if you bang it up!

Also, I have never done this, and I never would. Remember that this could be considered fraud in some states. But hey, I think every filmmaker has broken some rules to get a film made. Trespassing, loitering, double parking, handicapped spaces, seatbelt laws, reckless driving, driving trucks without a valid permit, and on and on and on...

I ain't saying it's right, I'm just saying it has been done in the past and it has worked.

Jim

OH, you could always buy one on Ebay and then turn around and sell it back for nearly the same amount!

Again, my previous statement stands: only do it if you can afford to buy it, in case it is damaged.

I was joking about the return thing, but I have considered buying and reselling. I haven't run through the numbers precisely but that is probably cheaper than renting.

However, like you say, there is considerable risk involved in case of destruction.

While I have no advice either way, I have always wondered about this buy and re-sell idea. It sound good, but is it really practical? Kind of a rhetorical question I guess.

I'm wondering if there is much of a market for used cameras on eBay. How about buying used and then re-selling? I'm thinking there might be a saving on a $3,000 to $6,000 camera especially if you can sell it for $500 to $1,000 less than you bought it for. But clearly impractical for a high end camera.

And of course the assumption is, you won't be making another move for a year or so. Have any of you done this?

I would think that you could purchase a lightly used camera, use it for a month, and then re-sell it for around the same as you bought it, less the shipping and additional wear and tear (if any). You would end up losing quite a bit if you did this with a new camera, but the newer used HD cams seem to be holding a consistent price at the moment.

If you bought one used, then sat on it for a year, you'll probably end up losing as new tech comes out, but if you flip it I think it would work, and really, there's nothing shady about it whatsoever! You just have to have the cash/credit up front to buy the camera.

Yeah, that M2 lens adapter looks incredibly sexy.

I've been thinking about it and I think I will most likely just buy the HVX200 camera and all of the desired components when I get the money upfront. Then I'll just sell it back used. Sure, I'll have to eat a bit of money that way but it will probably be cheaper than renting one.

I just have to hope I don't break it...

Look up 'Limited Partnerships' in the business section of your college library, then put together a legally viable offer, this makes you look legitimate and like the money you are going to get will be spent on a film, then start begging. Never stop talking about your film, about the money you need to make it, about the how good the idea is, and about how someone could profit from it if they put up the funds.

It's a hard slog, and you'll feel like a door to door salesman, but it's your dream you're selling here, not vacuum cleaners. If you're hearts in it, you'll get the money.

Will, re: local cable access... Do you know this from experience? Coincidentally, I am meeting with my local Comcast sales exec tomorrow for different reasons, but if this is true, I'll have to ask her about this. Can you let me know if you have more info on this? Thanks.

Hello everyone, im new here and was wondering if this dude ever got to make his movie? im in the same boat except it's 2010 and its cheaper to make short films now.
We’ll never know. “Goats Gone Wild” hasn’t posted here since 2007.

Will, re: local cable access... Do you know this from experience? Coincidentally, I am meeting with my local Comcast sales exec tomorrow for different reasons, but if this is true, I'll have to ask her about this. Can you let me know if you have more info on this? Thanks.
I've worked on many public access shows. But not in Pittsburgh. So I
can't help with info on your local PA station or facilities. You won't get
better local info than from the Comcast sales exec tomorrow.

Back