Palm Top or iPad

The director who came as a guest lecturer to our class, was asked what gadgets are necessary from director's standpoint and he mentioned that he always carry director's viewfinder and palm top. Has anyone ever used Palm Top? I understand they are just tools and different person might prefer different, but from director's standpoint, which one is better/have more advantages - iPad or Palm Top?

I only have an iPhone right now and I was planning to buy iPad sometime in future. I have used iPad but never seen the palm top.

PS: He was working way before iPhone/iPad era. I don't know whether he got so used to palm top that he didn't want to change or Palm Top is better for any other reason.

I thought they stopped making Palm/palmtops 8+ years ago?

As you say - they're just tools, and will depend on what your preference is. More commonly, I see iPad minis these days in the hands of both Directors and ADs.

I can't see how a palmtop could possibly be 'better' for anything than an iPad, but the Director in question may prefer it for any number of reasons - old tech (easier to understand), used it for so long and can't figure anything else out, perhaps seems less 'cluttered' etc.

I know an old grip who had an old Nokia phone that only made calls and texts up until about 6 months ago. He used to say 'it does what I need it to!'.
When it broke and he was forced to use his wife's old iPhone 4S, he struggled immensely. Some people are just averse to change, or find it easier to use what they're comfortable with.

You don't need to follow exactly, and similarly using the same tools as someone else will not make you as good as them (though I'm sure you're aware of all that).

Back