East Coast Film Schools - I Need help

But, without a 4 year degree from an NYU and the internshps you are gven, the studios will not take a chance on you.
I know people who work at major studios without degrees and they're very good at what they do.

To be a good editor, just for example, it just takes practice. If I wanted to be an editor I would definitely choose to just jump in and start working at the bottom.

I majored in Broadcasting, although I went to college to have party and have fun and because going to college was "expected of me". But in retrospect I can hardly remember anything useful that I took away from my Broadcasting classes. The only classes that were worth my while in college were two advanced English classes. That's about it. I wish I had at least studied law or something during those 4 years.

Watch "the College Conspiracy" on YouTube. Worth a view.

A friend of mine works on a lot of USC grad films and reports that a lot of these students spend a fortune on their films and by that time they appear really fed up and angry with the business.

I know a Hollywood editor who didn't go to NYU as well. He was educated in Spain, worked 10+ years for Canal Plus, Edited a James Bond movie in London for Pinewood Studios and worked on a few Hollywood productions.

Also, working on Skywalker Ranch with George Lucas didn't hurt his resume to edit for the studios as well.

So, yes, not every great person in Hollywood went to NYU. But, the ratio of their graduates working for Hollywood is high.

There is a reason I'm doing an unrelated degree at one of the 5 or so best universities in the world (my own back, pat it).

Having a degree from a top university is increasingly becoming the only way to enter professional film production, in the UK and the US. I think it would be a sad fact only if I didn't know how hard people work for their degrees. If you want to be a writer you've got to get a degree.

Back