How Should I Take This? Good News?

I recast my 2 open roles for silver demon hunters in one day. The new actors are excited because no one else is shooting action and science fiction films.

My crew positions are filling very fast with good people looking to cut me deals for my budget. Why? I'm the only filmmaker on the East Coast here in the USA making a science fiction film. And, there is a lot of love for science fiction.

Within the last 30 days, a science fiction movie makers group I started picked up a dozen new members. The group is a year old and only had a total of 3 members, including myself before that.

I must be doing something right? :)

Well, it's not at the finish line yet. And, I worry about the delicate financial strings breaking before all is said and done.

Thanks for the good wishes.

If I could spread good karma, I would.

The crew people tell me everyone else is comedy, doing horror, drama, or documentaries.

A sales agent / entertainment lawyer / an producer told me science fiction has the most potential for a worldwide market over everything else.

The crew people tell me everyone else is comedy, doing horror, drama, or documentaries.

Well, that could cover pretty much anything else, so it's probably true.

I think there's a massive market for sci-fi but, in order for it to break out of that niche market of sci-fi fans, it needs to be really good quality. And that's where most indie sci-fis fall short.

The ones that get the production value and quality right can be bit successes. See Gareth Edwards' Monsters. That's the sort of quality anyone doing independent sci-fi ought to be striving for.

That's why the market is so devoid of content. The sets and FX required to make a "good" sci fi product put it out of the range of most mow budget people. It can be done, but it's a challenge.

There's always greenscreen, shooting in the woods, and models to make it more affordable.

I like what Robert Rodreguez did with Preditors. Shooting most of production in the woods inspired my latest production. The woods are timeless and excellent for sci5i military battles.

There's always greenscreen, shooting in the woods, and models to make it more affordable.

I like what Robert Rodreguez did with Preditors. Shooting most of production in the woods inspired my latest production. The woods are timeless and excellent for sci5i military battles.

Good thinking. The trick is to get off of ships, out of space, away from buildings. Those all cost WAY too much money to make them look good.

Another piece of the puzzle is finding stunt coordinators who understand how to do action for science fiction characters like in my production we have cyborgs, aliens, and humans. Obviously, the cyborgs and aliens have special abilities and the humans do not.

Also, we have Ares and Artemis who are gods with special abilities.

Every stunt coordinator I've come across on the East Coast is very ignorant about science fiction characters. When I give them a character sheet on the special abilities of the characters, they toss it aside and try to do the action like everyone is human.

That's why for IC3, I'm bringing in a Hollywood stunt coordinator who works with science fiction characters as a business as usual basis.

I was with a new crew member yesterday who is very impressed on who I have lined up.

The right type of action for the characters for what they are sells the production as well.

Last edited:
Back