Disney's $350,000,000 fart

Took the family to see it over the weekend (in 2D - we don't do 3D). We all really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was great! Not the absolute best I've ever seen, but a solid B+/A- effort. I definitely felt entertained and that I got my money's worth.

Negative news is just as good as positive news as long as "they" are talking about you, right?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-carter-box-office-disney-flop-298610

"In the aftermath of the sci-fi tentpole's anemic worldwide opening, Wall Street has been assessing the damage for Disney.
Over the weekend, one movie industry insider suggested Disney's John Carter could be the biggest Hollywood bomb since Heaven's Gate in 1980."

Blah, blah, blah...

"Just before the movie opened, Alan Gould of Evercore Partners took the unusual step -- because the pre-release tracking was so negative -- of more than doubling his early estimate that Disney would lose $75 million on the title, alerting clients last week that the loss would be closer to $165 million.
The movie, which Disney spent about $350 million to make and market, took in $30.2 million domestically over its opening weekend and another $70.6 million internationally. It's likely to top out at around $300 million theatrically worldwide, or possibly $350 million, though its break-even point for Disney is closer to $650 million. DVD and pay TV will help stem the bleeding, but a significant write-off is inevitable.
Wunderlich Securities analyst Matthew Harrigan notes that John Carter was "amazingly" released exactly a year after Mars Needs Moms, which took in $39 million worldwide on a $150 million production budget. Harrigan expects a write-down of $100 million-plus for John Carter."

Elsewhere, I've seen that break-even revenue @ $700m, so these estimates gee-haw in a ballpark sort of way.

Last edited:
That's too bad. I'd like to see it though.

Remember when Water World's 100 million dollar budget was treated by the media as a nothing less than scandalous? Heheh.

Trailer & posters confused the heck out of me.

The Daily Show interview with Willem Dafoe about the film talked about anything except the film.

I'll likely catch it at the dollar theater, but they did a terrible job at promoting it & selling it to an audience.

Saw this yesterday with my 12 y son. He loved it. When it is Indiana Jones its great. When it's AOTC it is okay, when the princess opened her mouth I wanted to jab the arms of my 3d glasses into my ears.

Back