Impromptu horror film competition...

I can't participate, but I am DYING to see what every body comes up with!

.....(get it, dying? it's funny because....oh, nevermind).....:D

:pop:

-- spinner :cool:

I wish I could participate, but I cannot do horror :lol:(you'd think someone with a mask obsession it would be right up my alley). I don't know why-it's a pity because it sounds like some interesting times could be had.

Say... cheese?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRbgl9E-GKw
tsotss01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, harpsichoid! It's sorta sad that one of the first things I did when I upgraded to the Virus TI is make a couple decent theremin patches ;) Can't wait to see what you and ray come up with! This is a ton of fun!

Having fun is what it's all about! :) I'm considering this more of a friendly challenge than a flat out competition. Knightly's post was the spark that ignited an idea (like Wheatgrinder's challenge) and maybe, hopefully it will take shape. I figure if anyone posts a film by Halloween midnight, that's a success in and of itself!

rayw - I hear you on the editing. It's staring me down, too.

Good luck to you and to everyone!

Editting time itself got edited.

I give it a less than 20% chance I even have something to submitt Sunday.
(Monday ain't lookin' much better, either).
Additionally, I have some audio issues going on forcing a significant "concept construction", so if I get something at all I'd like to turn in a preliminary product and then if it's okay let Harpsicord have more than a couple hours to sling some soundtrack on there.
In the spirit of genuine collaboration I'd like for him to have the opportunity to share as good a product as he can.
I think the before and after or without/with contrast could be good.
Fair enough?

Time isn't really too much of an object for me- I've already been putting some music and sounds together based on what you've given away about the film in your comments. With the words 'Disturbing', 'Chainsaw' and 'Destroyed' it begins to write itself really.

If audio issues includes any problems with sound cleanup or foley recordings then send it to me- I have plenty of software and resources to get to work on that and then you can take what you want from what I come up with.

Thanks for being such a good sport about this.

Regular sound clean up I can do okey doke (and kinda enjoy!)

Nah, the problem with the audio is that on most of the video clips the audio is fine, but on about a quarter of the clips the audio fades in and out in a regular throbbing wave pattern about a second and a half between each peak.
It's on a reasonably new Sony SanDisk memcard, so it's not like I've got a moving/revolving mechanical tape issue or using some gang-banged-crack-ho worn out memory card.
And I never tinkered with the camera's settings relevant to audio. No on set mic blocking of any sort.
At first I thought it was because I was preview-playing the raw clips from the memcard, but even after I moved the files to my hard drive the same issue persisted, so that wasn't it.

I might find a few minutes in the next day or two to seperate the audio and upload to a free .wav hosting site and let you guys make of it what you will.

Video plays glitch free fine.
I'm afraid the audio is permanantly buggered.

For the (fail) Halloween project I'm considering just stripping out much of the native sound and just laying in 100% faux-audio.

However, it's looking like Tuesday (U.S.) is the earliest I'll have something for you to dubacherize.

Please PM me with your youtube link and I'll post it in that thread.
Okey doke & thank you.

Last edited:
OK, for the sumissions (when we get to that point -- and you too ray, even if it's late)... I'm going to start a new thread which I'll link here with the submissions. Please PM me with your youtube link and I'll post it in that thread.

Will do, knightly. And thanks for creating this impromptu horror thread. I hadn't realized there was a short movie waiting to be made until you brought it up. ;)

Okay. I am IN. Will take the challenge!

Call it LAMORT -- a nightmare of sorts... for Halloween. Got the idea @ 6 A.M. when I woke up from a dream (October 29th).

Started shooting immediately, yesterday morning (needed a haircut anyway). Visited with friends that own a haunted house on the other side of Columbus, around 5 P.M. before their scare-hungry crowds showed up. Stopped shooting footage around 7:30 P.M. to go home and watch the Ohio State football game last night. Glad I did! Killer ending!

Started editing this morning @ 9 A.M., will stop to go to a local bar and watch Browns @ 49ers @ 3:00 P.M. (not on TV in Columbus and I am a glutton for punishment -- a die hard Brown's fan). Will shoot a few more shots when I get home (after a few beers), finish the edit and add some of my music for your perusal on YouTube this evening...

Where do you want the URL to my YouTube upload?

I am trying to keep it @ 5 minutes -- but with credits -- looking more like 6 minutes.

Okay?

Is vimeo an acceptable submission format?

I had selected Youtube just because we can embed it natively here, I don't see a problem with vimeo (although until recently, I couldn't watch vimeo videos due to the amount of bandwidth it required -- older computers don't do so well with it).

Ok, I'll send you the vimeo link once it's finished uploading and if anyone has a problem watching it I can upload a private youtube video no problem. :)

Back