• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Films with beautiful images, but little or dialogue

Hi, I just joined the forums :)

I recently found out that I am often drawn to atmospheric and contemplative films like Lost in Translation, Somewhere, The Science of Sleep, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Marie Antoinette, Bright Star, and Where the Wild Things Are

I was just wondering- How difficult is it for a first time writer to pitch or to sell a screenplay like that (not to mainstream studios) especially if:
  • Many of these films do not have a lot of action or dialogue and are often slow, quiet and “simple.”
  • Most of the characters don’t seem to have goals, are often just sitting around or absorbing a specific location (i.e. Tokyo, Chateau Marmont) and feeling isolated and alienated.
  • You don’t already have an established name like Sophia Coppola
  • When the screenplay isn’t based on a historical figure, like in Marie Antoinette, Bright Star
  • When the screenplay isn’t based on already published material like Where the Wild Things Are
  • When you are just a writer and not actually directing the film yourself?

Is there any advice on how to approach writing/selling this type of screenplay?

It's very difficult I would imagine. All the films that you've mentioned are by established filmmakers.

There's nothing to stop you, however, producing a short film with this vibe. Potentially that could act as a way of showing how your ideas would have a visual application.

That said some of the films you've mentioned are not really that 'atmospheric' or low on dialogue. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is the combination of a good idea, a crazy writer and director and unusual visuals. Same with The Science of Sleep and basically all Gondry films.

Likewise Sophia Coppola's movies are quieter than most but they're not overly contemplative, they still get widespread releases and do decent work at the box office. It depends whether that's what you're aiming for or whether you want to go the whole hog and make something like Meek's Cutoff which is practically unwatchable.

Have you seen The Tree of Life, if so I'd be curious to know what you thought of it.

I have some advice on this, Dont.

I made a film like this, and poured a ton of work into creating lush atmospherics and artistic color palettes.

I marketed it, showed it in small theaters, and it's got an 8/10 on IMDB (and not from my personal friends either)

I lost 10 grand on it (out of a possible 35), and now I have hundreds of copies left from the disc printing.

The films you mention were mostly possible because of people starting out with more money. Tony Scott for example has made 3 bad films in a row and I'm sure I'll see another one. It doesn't prove it's possible for any of us to do that.

Personally I love this type of film, and highly recommend

Baraka
Chronos
Koyaanisquatsi
among others

But if you're thinking of this type of film as a first foray into theatrical release, I'd say it's about once a decade someone succeeds with that plan.

It's very difficult I would imagine. All the films that you've mentioned are by established filmmakers.

There's nothing to stop you, however, producing a short film with this vibe. Potentially that could act as a way of showing how your ideas would have a visual application.

Likewise Sophia Coppola's movies are quieter than most but they're not overly contemplative, they still get widespread releases and do decent work at the box office. It depends whether that's what you're aiming for or whether you want to go the whole hog and make something like Meek's Cutoff which is practically unwatchable.

Have you seen The Tree of Life, if so I'd be curious to know what you thought of it.

Thank you for replying :)
I think I will try to get a short film produced if I can. It seems like a good starting point.

I haven't seen Meek's Cutoff, but watched the trailer and it looks visually beautiful. I'd have to see the whole thing to get a better feel for it, but I've been reading some mixed reviews. It looks really interesting though, I'd have to check that out.

I did see The Tree of Life. I can see why people would call this film pretentious, or walk out. There were some people in my audience who were like, WTF did I just watch?? I went in not knowing what to expect and personally found myself just getting kind of swept away by the whole thing. It was kind of visceral lol. The film was incredibly beautiful, especially the family segments. The most simple scenes resonated with me, even if it was just a shot of the boys running around in the yard. There was something so moving about those shots, when juxtaposed against images of the universe.

What did you think of it?

But, if it was someone other than Malick, would the producers have fought for the script? I'm not so sure about that. lol.

Last edited:
I have some advice on this, Dont.

I made a film like this, and poured a ton of work into creating lush atmospherics and artistic color palettes.

I marketed it, showed it in small theaters, and it's got an 8/10 on IMDB (and not from my personal friends either)

I lost 10 grand on it (out of a possible 35), and now I have hundreds of copies left from the disc printing.

The films you mention were mostly possible because of people starting out with more money. Tony Scott for example has made 3 bad films in a row and I'm sure I'll see another one. It doesn't prove it's possible for any of us to do that.

Personally I love this type of film, and highly recommend

Baraka
Chronos
Koyaanisquatsi
among others

But if you're thinking of this type of film as a first foray into theatrical release, I'd say it's about once a decade someone succeeds with that plan.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to hear about your film. I hope that didn't completely dissuade you from future projects.
Thank you for the film suggestions, I'll have to check them out :)

Surprisingly, especially if you're unestablished, it's easier to sell a script to Hollywood if you don't plan to direct.

That said, the answer to your question is "very difficult," as others have stated. It's just not a particularly lucrative genre. Consider Enter the Void, the rare artsy/experimental film that gets a fairly large budget. It tanked.

But don't let me or the facts stop you, please. The industry needs to make more movies like this, and I plan on writing/directing stuff in a similar vein.

Dreamspell,

Let me be blunt: Don't. You'll be dead in the water all alone with no audience, watching all your money float away.

The making a short idea? A bigger don't. At least with a feature film you have a salable product (you might sell a copy or two to a New Age guru), with a short you've got zip.

That said, if its your dream, as long you accept you're not on your way to Hollywood, go for it!

Good luck.

The industry needs to make more movies like this,

What it "needs" doesn't matter -- the industry only makes products with a decent chance of return on the investment.

Last edited:
"you might sell a copy or two to a New Age guru"

This is funny because I actually unloaded like 50 copies to a new age guru. Those guys are so stupid, they'll buy a colored rock and feed it to their kids. Not only that, but they have money, way more than your local Mensa chapter. When you talk like a moron, you're speaking a lot of people's language. (cough, scientology)

I know a fat lady that doesn't know how to read and write that makes 5 grand a day "aligning furniture with the cosmos", she has a large collection of what she calls "power crystals" to which she attributes her success.

:lol:

Is your motive to sell a screenplay and earn a return on investment, or is your motive to have a vision of yours come to life?

The idea of selling a screenplay and possibly earning some money is always this nagging thought in the back of my mind. It always seem to flare up when I begin to doubt the projects that I have planned. I always have to fight the impulse to think to the future, of money, of audience reception and reaction, etc.
I keep trying to ask myself, "Are you doing this for yourself, or are you doing it for the wrong reasons?"

However, at the end of the day, the idea of having my vision come to life definitely outweighs everything else.

I would feel gutted if my words never make it to any screen, if my scripts ended up wasting away, covered in cobwebs in the corner somewhere untouched. But, I guess at that point, you have to move on, right?

That being said, I'm still just beginning lol.

However, at the end of the day, the idea of having my vision come to life definitely outweighs everything else.

Then make your movie. Write it, get together with a director who is as visionary as you and make it. Know that it won't earn any money; GuerrillaAngel and NateNorth have spelled out why.

There are plenty of methods to make money and sell scripts; writing obtuse and visionary screenplays isn't one of them.

But there are also plenty of venues for obtuse and visionary movies nowadays. In March, a black and white, non-narrative, 12 minute long Super 8 film of Michigan's Sleeping Bear Dunes through the four seasons won the top prize at the 2nd Detroit Independent Film Festival.

There are audiences, appreciative audiences, for your visions and stories. They won't earn you any money, but you can reach them and touch them. Not on any large scale, but on more intimate scales.

I wish you the best of luck and courage...keep us posted on your progress.

This is funny because I actually unloaded like 50 copies to a new age guru. Those guys are so stupid, they'll buy a colored rock and feed it to their kids. Not only that, but they have money, way more than your local Mensa chapter. When you talk like a moron, you're speaking a lot of people's language. (cough, scientology)

I know a fat lady that doesn't know how to read and write that makes 5 grand a day "aligning furniture with the cosmos", she has a large collection of what she calls "power crystals" to which she attributes her success.

:lol:

There you go Dreamspell. Research the New Age Guru market and you might find an untapped niche. Still, keep your overhead low.

Good luck!

Back