• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I tell if a script is long enough on paper compared to film?

My last scripts I single spaced because not doing so, resulted in it being too long. So I single lined it so it would fit to under 110 pages, since most beginner scripts for people, the filmmakers don't like scripts that go over 100-110, usually. But then I was told on here, that I had to double space if I expected to sell so I am in the process of rewriting them to fit under 110 or lower if can be.

I am writing a new script, double lined. So far it's 33 pages, but I feel like not much has happened yet for such an amount of spacing, and it should only be 15-20 so far maybe. I don't wanna get up to 100 pages, and only have it be 50 minutes on film. Any advice on how to tell exactly if I have enough? A lot of the script takes place in the same locations, for budget purposes, so it's kinda hard to tell exactly since the story doesn't shift scenes as much.

Another thing is for an action movie script, such as this, how long should an action scene be double spaced? Say if my climatic battle is 10 minutes on film roughly, how long should that be on paper?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah. I am funding my current one myself but still wanna write it as if I were pitching it. That way I can get more people interested in it anyway. Plus I also wanna learn from my previous ones, which I will probably end up pitching.

If you're doing it yourself, then you can write it in crayon and it doesn't matter.

If you're writing it to try and sell to a professional, then follow every rule to the letter.

There are hundreds of thousands (go to sites like zoetrope and triggerstreet) of scripts submitted to agents, managers, production companies, and just about anyone else that screenwriters believe can get them sold. If you can't follow the basic rules, then chances are no matter how good your story is, it won't get read.

For a first draft a script can be 100 - 200 - 1000 pages. But, when it comes to sending it out, it should be no more then 120. 95 - 110 is preferred. Who wrote this rule? I don't know.

Anyone that tells you to just write and send it out is doing you a diservice.

This is a TOUGH business. While many of the industry people are arrogant assholes. They have the ability to get you a check that'll keep you in the black for a few years. Asking for an industry standard screenplay is not too much to ask.

I've looked at lots of scripts online. Most of them have a scene heading for every time the street changes in an action scene that takes place on the streets. However a lot of those scripts are not spec scripts and I have not found a spec script of an action film with that type of action sequence. Heat and The Dark Knight, are the best example of having that type of sequence but since Michael Mann and Christopher Nolan wrote them themselves they are not specs. That's another question like in The Dark Knight. In that one they have an action sequence that takes place on multiple floors of a building, like I may wanna have.

Should I scene change every time it switches floors, even though that will be up to the director later, which floor is used for which?

I believe I've advised you before but in case I haven't - triggerstreet.com is the best place for you.

Buy Trottiers Screen Bible for format - sit in a chair for a month and write it.

All the best, Jim.

Okay thanks I'll be sure to check those out. Right now I am also writing a short film that deals with a rape scene. Now in the movie Irreversible they show just how brutal and traumatic rape can be, by showing a rape that lasts nine minutes. If I want to write one that lasts that long to show the brutality of it, should I actually write it as long as 9 pages? I wanna show the script to actors and people wanting to work on their craft to see if they would be interested in working on it to build their portfolio. So I wanna make a good impression with it, and don't want it to come off as 'over-written' i guess you could say.

Look guys, now lets not confuse the guy

Harmonica, the thing is, there is no absolute RULES which tells you how long scripts should be in relation to run time.

1 page = 1 minute is not fool proof, but it's just the convention. Sure, there are lots of examples where it doesn't apply, but for new SP writers, its a good convention to go by.

As you are obviously not sure, then go by it, and you probably won't be too far off.

As for how they are looking for 95-110 pages. That's just a tendency. Meaning if you are a little over or a little less, it is okay.

There are no solid rules and regulations. All these are just rules of thumb, to aid us when we not sure what to do.

Sure thanks. I sent in a script sample of two of my previous ones to some writers and readers, and they said that I write too long, and need to shorten my descriptions, and how I word things. Which could be why for my current script I feel I have gotten 40 pages with double lining, and feel I may not have enough when it translates to screen. I'll try to learn to shorten my wording.

Last edited:
Back