Producer Credit for use of Business/Property

Hello,

I'm shooting my first feature film and have had a local business owner to offer her assistance at no cost to the production. She has allowed me the use of her building for several scenes throughout my film. I was able to use this facility free of charge but offered her a Producer's credit. Does anyone have a form template for this that I could go by? I see Producer Contracts but they all seem much more extensive than what I'm looking for. I'm offering her the actual on-screen credit and happy to also offer back end points considering we used her space in our scenes but also used it as Base Camp with use of office services and restrooms. Has anyone ever done this and how specific where you with the points? BTW, I'm still a newbie filmmaker and learning. Thank you!

I'd perhaps offer the title Executive Producer. You could even make them Location Manager if that would fit better. You could also give special thanks in the end of the film along with the address or web address, as sort of an ad.

You could also offer something like, when you do a local screening, or at the wrap party, you will start the film with their commercial (like movie previews, but thanks to those that helped).

Lots of good ways to thank people who helped.

I don't believe you'll find a Producer contract for someone offering a
location. The reason you see contracts that are so extensive is because
the job of Producer is extensive. It is not usually a “give-away” credit.
Associate Producer or even Executive Producer is often a give-away
credit.

If all you want to do is put in writing that you agree to give this person
an on screen credit you can use a standard deal memo.You can eliminate
all of it except for the “screen credit” line. I'm sure you have a location
agreement with this person. Add a screen credit line to it offering “Produced by”.

Has anyone ever done this and how specific where you with the points?

Be cautious offering “points”. Have you read the “Reasonable percentage
of profit” thread here on indietalk? You should.

I have offered points in the past. I'll never do it again on an independent
movie. You really need an accountant and a lawyer. And if you have the
money to pay them; pay for the location instead.

You need to be very (VERY!) specific with points. Spell out points of... what?
gross, net, producers gross, producers net. How the points are calculated, who
else is getting points and how much, when the profit participation kicks in, how
often money is paid out and for how long. It's stupid complicated and you really
(REALLY) need a good accountant at least and should have a lawyer.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! directorik, you touched on some things that I'd not considered but I'm glad that you did! I'm definitely reconsidering the "points" factor! I'm not really in a financial situation right now to higher the services of an attorney so I'll just stay clear of that for now. Also, good to know on using Executive Producer or co-producer instead of Producer. I'm also used to deal memos so I like using that option as well.

direcorik, yes, we did a locations agreement that stated that she would not receive monetary compensation but I didn't list that we'd give her screen credit but we did have a verbal agreement, she and I. I will, however, draft a deal memo for her and give her an Executive Producer Credit.

You guys have been more than helpful and given me good direction! Thanks a bunch!

I like rik's idea of Associate Producer. Like he said, both have a history of being throw-away credits, but I'd do them like this:
Associate - this person's duties or contributions assisted you in getting the job done.
Executive - this film would not be possible without their financial or other contribution.
Both have other real world definitions but when awarding these credits for assistance, I'd go with something like that.

Back