The Chair - show about two first-time feature directors

Is anyone watching The Chair. A show about two folks given an opportunity to direct a feature.

I have been glued to the show. It shows their highs and lows during pre-production, filming and post-prod.

Watched five episodes so far. I think there will be 10+ episodes.

Budget-wise, I think each has been allocated $600k for their feature.

If you enjoy film making, it's a must-see show.

The Chair
http://www.starz.com/originals/thechair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE5bXVIVYGo

I started watching the first episode. I couldn't finish it. This is exactly the kind of thing I'd be watching endlessly, about 10 years ago. As I was watching it, I felt like I'd past the stage of dreaming. These people don't represent me or my life.

But Chris Moore is always entertaining. I almost kept watching, just to hear him curse. But he is much more muted here, than in Project Greenlight.

Definitely an interesting premise.

Only watched the first episode so far, definitely should be interesting to see how it plays out. I found the guy to be pretty annoying, although it could just be his hair. I do think it's interesting that they've sort of pitted a more traditional film industry person against a new media success. I'm just hoping they don't overdo the personal drama on the show - I got a little sense of the producers pushing for that in some of the diary videos. I personally think there will be enough challenges to keep it interesting without them having to play up the melodrama for the 'reality'.

Finally finished the whole show - I actually thought they did a very good job of showing the challenges of producing a low budget film, and the contrast between the two different filmmakers worked really well to see how different approaches play into things.

I have to say the finale was pretty depressing though.
If these two films can't be profitable considering the visibility they get from the show, and the fact that one of the filmmakers already had a 10+ million following on youtube, it doesn't bode well for films in this budget range at all. I'm starting to think the budget threshold for films without multi-million dollar marketing campaigns is probably going to be in the $100k and lower range.

Back