The death of DSLR?

Despite the camera offering digital audio inputs, which should be pretty good for real audio team, I can't understand why on board audio is even being brought up.

This isn't a camcorder or video camera. It's clearly being touted as digital cinema. That mean you use a second sound system and slate.

If you want great audio there are plenty of solutions out there as add-ons, or buy a video camera.

Can we please stop making threads about the death of DSLR's? They will always have their place.

This camera has such a tiny sensor it won't do much harm.

If it does anything, it will put the Digital Bolex guys out of the market!

This camera has such a tiny sensor it won't do much harm.

I'm curious what sensor size has to do with anything? It's larger than Super 16 and a decent amount of major motion pictures have shot S16 or less in the past six years. Less being 2/3".

A few have been listed already... I mean, if sensor size REALLY mattered that much then Avatar, Hurt Locker, The Wrestler, Black Swan, Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours and number more are pretty much what?

I agree, DSLR killer is strange to say. But, it has nothing to do with sensor size in a greater working world. Only with no-budgeteers.

I'm curious what sensor size has to do with anything? It's larger than Super 16 and a decent amount of major motion pictures have shot S16 or less in the past six years. Less being 2/3".

A few have been listed already... I mean, if sensor size REALLY mattered that much then Avatar, Hurt Locker, The Wrestler, Black Swan, Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours and number more are pretty much what?

I agree, DSLR killer is strange to say. But, it has nothing to do with sensor size in a greater working world. Only with no-budgeteers.

It does have to do with it! It has a Canon mount, but all your lenses will be pretty much useless! It has a crop factor of 2x. That's just ridiculous! You won't have a decent wide! And proper micro four thirds lenses are expensive!

It does have to do with it! It has a Canon mount, but all your lenses will be pretty much useless! It has a crop factor of 2x. That's just ridiculous! You won't have a decent wide! And proper micro four thirds lenses are expensive!

1. a 50 is a 50 is a 50. Doesn't matter if it's a micro four thirds lens or not. A MFT 12mm is no different than a 12mm EF lens that covers Full Frame. They're still both 12mm.

2. There are SEVERAL options for wide lenses. Sigma makes a rectilinear 8-15mm Zoom. T2i is smaller than S35 (recorded image), an 11mm on the Magic Cam will equal out to 18mm on an APS-C image.

How is that not decently wide? Anything below 18mm is considered Ultra-Wide.

The typical CInema lens set of six starts at 14~16mm.

It's also a 2.3x crop factor.

This is kind of what I mean by it only mattering to no-budgeteers, though. A lack of understanding of certain things.

Hope that helps a little, man.

Sure. Agreed. I dont think ppl mean no one will use DSLR's anymore. I think that dedicated video cameras will take over the 1000-5000 range in the future and this is the beginning of that happening.

Yep. My thoughts, exactly.

As for the discussion of crop-factor, that actually is at least a little bit of a concern for me. So, yeah, we just get a wider lens. But at what point do we start seeing a fish-eye effect (honest question)?

Yep. My thoughts, exactly.

As for the discussion of crop-factor, that actually is at least a little bit of a concern for me. So, yeah, we just get a wider lens. But at what point do we start seeing a fish-eye effect (honest question)?

Fisheye = Fisheye

Rectilinear = Straight lens

You should never actually see a straight-up Fisheye effect if you don't have a fisheye lens.

So you could go as wide as 7mm in PL mount and still not be fisheye.

Distortion may grab and skew edges in straight or diagonals, but it's not considered fisheye.

If you're looking to reproduce the typical cinematic shots from most major motion pictures, you shouldn't need to go any wider than an S35 equivalent to 16mm.

On the Magic Cam, that's about 9~10mm, or just grab an 11mm and you're at around 18.

The sensor is just a little smaller than m43 and accompanying crop factor isn't much worse. You'll still get your shallow DOF if you want, and you can get wide enough. Most m43'ers (GH2, etc) are happy.

This camera has gnarly specs. Wish I had one.

If I had it, I'd probably rarely shoot RAW, and I'll speculate that how others will also use it too. ProRes and Dnx are great formats and superior to most everything Ive ever used in terms of acquisition format.

The sensor is just a little smaller than m43 and accompanying crop factor isn't much worse. You'll still get your shallow DOF if you want, and you can get wide enough. Most m43'ers (GH2, etc) are happy.

This camera has gnarly specs. Wish I had one.

You know what was shocking to read on that other GH2 heavy forum? "The sensor is too small."

Seriously?

http://vimeo.com/40798498

I've seen the footage many times, and I can barely tell a difference in the crop when it's playing back/looping. It'd be pretty much indistinguishable if I adjusted for distance etc.

ANd no problem, CF.

This is kind of what I mean by it only mattering to no-budgeteers, though. A lack of understanding of certain things.
+1
The 'democratisation of the film industry' as I've heard it termed has bred a low-end 'no-budget' section of the market who are using higher quality gear without the proper understanding of it. To say that a m4/3 sensor is too small is well... :weird:
You've already pointed out the many films shot on smaller sensors, not to mention the amount of narrative TV that had been/is still being shot on S16, and the major motion pictures that have been shot even on 1/3" CCDs..
I feel like people forget films like 28 Days Later... The sensor size argument is almost at the point of suggesting that 5Dmkii camera tests are better films than something like 28 Days Later simply because the 5Dmkii has a larger sensor than the Canon XL1s

Again, sensor size is about the lenses. Even Zeiss CP2 15mm would barely qualify as a "wide" on this camera. The body, nice price, but switching over would mean I'd have to also make a significant lens investment.

Interview with John: http://freytag-film.com/blog/artikel/talk-about-the-new-black-magic-design-cinema-camera

Many people complain that the chip is smaller than the S35 chip in most new cameras, which results in a big crop factor. What do you think about this?

John: Well S35 would have been nice but they tell me they are very expensive sensors. BMD were chasing the best they could for DR and low cost. This sensor was a good choice for this. The so called crop factor shouldn't really be an issue for for most unless you want ultra wide angle Or are chasing ultra low dof. You can still put very fast primes on an get most of the way there.

Will you use one of those on your own projects as well?

John: I've already been using the camera in my own work. It's complimented the Alexa's I've been using on a TV series I'm doing now very nicely. And that's the way to think of this camera. It compliments cameras like RED and Alexa.

Like I said, anything below 16~18 is considered ultra wide and uncommon. An 11-16/2.8 Tokina will put you in the range of common wide, it costs 600.00 and will cover everything from 11-16. One lens.

Although, I'm not trying to sell anyone, just lift some of the misconceptions for anyone that's truly interested in actually purchasing.

Last edited:
Back