Locations: Elevator Set: Los Angeles

Greetings-

I am helping out a small independent project that is in need of an elevator for one scene. The filmmaker is a fan of guerrilla-style film-making and at this point just wants to barge into a public storage facility. Is a public storage facility an option that any is familiar with, just in general, legitimately? The concrete, cold look is appropriate, but I'm not sure if it is viable.

I know the safest way is to build a set. That is an option for the production, albeit an expensive one.

Suggestions regarding the best way to film an elevator scene, in which the elevator needs to be shown, pulled back, and open? Comments regarding the ways that any of you have gotten around restrictions?

Thank you.

just wants to barge into a public storage facility. Is a public storage facility an option that any is familiar with, just in general, legitimately?

Typically with keyed/password entry, and some local security guards - I wouldn't count on just barging right in. Even normal people have to be renting a spot within it to gain access to the premises.

Taking over the freight elevator on a multi-level complex will generate lots of attention from legit renters, too, who might be unhappy at being inconvenienced while trying to move loads. That's even if you get in to start with.

He'd better know someone there, if doing that.

The good news is that elevators are not exactly rare in Los Angeles. You must know someone who works in an office environment; hopefully with underground parking, from the sound of the look you described.

Thank you very much. A parking garage had been discussed, but not seriously considered. After seeing that short, I see that it is in fact an option.

I appreciate the input so far, thank you both.

Back