Video Editing Control Module

Should I want to use a video editing controller? I'm familiar with using the controls within the software. Just wondered about the table top control module and if it had some advantages.

The biggest advantage is that once you program it, you can move between NLEs with little fuss. When I transitioned from Adobe to Avid, I bought the Shuttle Pro 2 and it made the process of learning Avid so much easier.

You dont need to spend the money on one, especially when youre just starting out.
I don't have one.

I've been using the software brand for about 8 or 9 years. I'm not new to editing per se. I'm new to the upgrading of this current computer. And I want to be on point with this computer for this latest software version upgrade. And if the controller makes it that much easier, and worth it, I will consider it.

Last edited:
the software engineers that developed these nle programs did so with the intention of people using the program with a keyboard and mouse. youre in no way limited using the software in its intended manner. its a premium convenience

the software engineers that developed these nle programs did so with the intention of people using the program with a keyboard and mouse. youre in no way limited using the software in its intended manner. its a premium convenience
So even with the ability to personally customize and program the controllers, you still don't see the ergonomics? And because you don't use it means it's not needed, okay man.

One of my mentors told me "if you don't use it every day you don't really need it." If you do use it every day, will it speed up your workflow? Maybe it eases repetitive motion issues. Then there are the budgetary issues - could the money be better spent elsewhere?

Just think it all the way through before you make your decision.

lol, I'm just looking for anyone that is actually using them to just tell me their experiences and what advantages they see. Please no offense, but I'm just looking for that and that only.

So even with the ability to personally customize and program the controllers, you still don't see the ergonomics? And because you don't use it means it's not needed, okay man.

well then i dont think you understand the definition of the word needed because if it were needed i wouldn't be able to work without it

Geez... folks caught up in the “I don’t use it myself, so there’s no reason you should” way of thinking.

Edit controllers - tactile control surfaces - can speed up workflow. It’s not as black and white as “you need it” or “you don’t need it”. It is subjective. It’s really about the way you personally think and work. In that, only you can decide.

I use tactile control surfaces and I love them. For me, it’s better than memorizing several pages of keyboard shortcuts. Instead, I have assignable buttons and a scroll wheel. But then, I go back to the days of tape-to-tape editing so it’s familiar for me like having a U-matic or BetaSP control panel in front of me.

ProTools is the same way. You could argue that it was designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse, but a multi-fader control surface makes all the difference in the world.

The other thing to consider, shootman, that made a HUGE difference for my workflow (NLE, DAW, compositiing, PhotoShop... everything) is a Wacom tablet. I don’t even have a mouse connected to my computer anymore. It feels much better and has more consistent control across the desktop. I actually like it better in an NLE than I do a control surface.

Geez... folks caught up in the “I don’t use it myself, so there’s no reason you should” way of thinking.

Edit controllers - tactile control surfaces - can speed up workflow. It’s not as black and white as “you need it” or “you don’t need it”. It is subjective. It’s really about the way you personally think and work. In that, only you can decide.

I use tactile control surfaces and I love them. For me, it’s better than memorizing several pages of keyboard shortcuts. Instead, I have assignable buttons and a scroll wheel. But then, I go back to the days of tape-to-tape editing so it’s familiar for me like having a U-matic or BetaSP control panel in front of me.

ProTools is the same way. You could argue that it was designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse, but a multi-fader control surface makes all the difference in the world.

The other thing to consider, shootman, that made a HUGE difference for my workflow (NLE, DAW, compositiing, PhotoShop... everything) is a Wacom tablet. I don’t even have a mouse connected to my computer anymore. It feels much better and has more consistent control across the desktop. I actually like it better in an NLE than I do a control surface.
Wow, thanks AcousticAl, that's what I was hoping to hear. If they don't know, they don't know.

That's not it. He wants to hear from people that have used them to see how they feel. There's always those gadgets that you just can't live without but you don't know until you use. I can see where he's coming from.

That's not it. He wants to hear from people that have used them to see how they feel. There's always those gadgets that you just can't live without but you don't know until you use. I can see where he's coming from.

yeah id like to hear from those people too, i wasn't aware i was stopping any of them from posting

But then, I go back to the days of tape-to-tape editing so it’s familiar for me like having a U-matic or BetaSP control panel in front of me.

I started on those old U-matics. Linear editing brings back memories...

I have to say, for video editing, I don't miss them. The keyboard is so much more efficient than any shuttle control I've used, but as everything it does come down to personal preferences. There's these little units that are modular so you can you custom to your own needs. YMMV.

For audio/grading, completely different game.

I started on those old U-matics. Linear editing brings back memories...

And then DigiBeta came along with pre-read heads and we could make cross-dissolves between two clips from the same source tape and we thought we’d died and gone to heaven.

For audio/grading, completely different game.

100%

The Wacom tablet has been an absolute joy for me, for the way I work and the way I think in the edit suite. I fell in love with the concept with Quantel Editbox (this was 2001/2002) and added one to my FCP2 system. I’ve never looked back.

Last edited:
Back