16mm Telecine to Digital, Best Editing Format?

Hey Guys,

I'm halfway through shooting my first feature on super 16mm. I need to get a couple of rolls developed to check out a few things for continuity, before the next shoot. I wasn't expecting to be thinking about editing formats etc so early on, I thought I'd have some to time to educate myself on it, but no!

I've never shot or edited on 16mm before, so the whole experience has been a pretty steep learning curve for me, but I'm getting there (and enjoying it!).

Anyway, since I need to get a couple of rolls developed now, I want to make sure they're going to suit my needs when I go into the edit, I don't want to have to get them done again because of a silly mistake, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I'm not going to be editing in HD, will be SD and plan on doing some extensive grading, so the image will need to hold up. I plan on printing back to 16mm when fully edited.

So, what's the best format to get it transferred to and edited in? Also, should I expect any letter-boxing on the footage?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Back