Showing clips online

Hi Guys,

My writing partner and I have recently shot a short comedy film. we have uploaded a couple of 15 second trailers online about a month ago. We read somewhere that you can only have 10 percent of the film available online for it to be viable in most film festivals. The 30 seconds of footage currently online is well within our limits.

We are currently doing a kickstarter campaign, which has two hours to go. We are quite a bit over our goal so, unless anything majorly bad happens, we will be successful. As a thank you to our backers we want to show them another 30 second clip of our film. This will be uploaded in a 'backer only' update. However, the 30 seconds of footage (along with what is currently online) could take us over the ten percent.

So i have two questions - 1, is it true that only ten percent can be available in the public domain for it to be viable of festivals? Has anyone heard this to be true?

2, if it is true - will the 30 seconds clip be considered to be in the public domain, considering only the backers will be able to see it (it will be uploaded directly to the kickstarter update, rather than a youtube/vimeo link).

Any help and advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Stuart

Back