Home
Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Business/Legal

IndieTalk is performing upgrades and will be back soon. Posting is disabled until further notice.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:58 AM   #16
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillaonabike View Post
$1,500 is waaayyy too much.
Really depends on who and what usage. What constitutes an internet commercial may be a grey area depending on what exactly youíre doing.

You should be able to get a professional VO artist for $400-600 pretty comfortably, but I couldnít say for certain without knowing what the project and usage is.
jax_rox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 01-28-2019, 04:34 AM   #17
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax_rox View Post
Really depends on who and what usage. What constitutes an internet commercial may be a grey area depending on what exactly you’re doing.

You should be able to get a professional VO artist for $400-600 pretty comfortably, but I couldn’t say for certain without knowing what the project and usage is.
Just for a YouTube video with ads, but I'm putting a lot of work into it with music and all. Trying to do a really good parody of "Life After People". I'm gonna run a casting call on NowCasting at $250 just to see if I can find a diamond in the rough. Otherwise I might just have to use my own voice. I don't have that baritone voice, but because it's a comedy Mockumentary it might still "work". I can add 1 semi tone of pitch shift without it sounding too processed. I'll get your opinions when I post a little of it.

Last edited by Blade_Jones; 01-28-2019 at 04:36 AM.
Blade_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #18
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Jones View Post
I don't have that baritone voice, but because it's a comedy Mockumentary it might still "work".
A comedy mockumentary? Have you considered a Ron Howard/Arrested Development style read instead of baritone?
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #19
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticAl View Post
A comedy mockumentary? Have you considered a Ron Howard/Arrested Development style read instead of baritone?
Wouldn't fit with Life After People. They used a deep done, serious voice and a British voice for other episodes.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #20
Lurk
Basic Member

I use http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/casting-call/ for short stuff, it's free to post and you can advertise for credit only. If your advert is something that looks exciting you can get quite a few auditions to choose from just for one role.

For longer stuff I'd hire a local working actor for a day at their hourly rate to act into a microphone for me.
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #21
craigsvoicetalent
Basic Member

I would love to find out more on how the voice over community is viewed by the people who pay our wages. This is usually video producers like you! So this thread is very interesting. There is a huge disparity between voice over rates. There has been a downward pressure on rates recently due to the gig economy and sites like Fiverr. This is being constantly discussed within the voice over community.
$1,500 for a 1,100 word read which should be less than 10 minutes of audio does seem high to me. You are looking for a documentary read on You Tube so there is no commercial usage involved. Usage can be a very important part a voice over quote as the voice is usually licensed just like music is.
My price for this would be around $450 and is open to negotiation. I know of many other voice overs that would charge more than this and others who may charge less. In truth, the saying "you get what you pay for" is true when you go down to the levels of Fiverr.
We are all freelances and have to work out budgets and still get paid what we think we are worth. In both video production and voice over there are many different costs and reasons on how we get to our final quotes and I think if we all understood this better it would help in making budgets match.
If you have any specific questions on this I would love to discuss this with you.
British voice overs
craigsvoicetalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #22
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #23
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

Welcome to IndieTalk!
Old 02-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #24
AcousticAl
Basic Member

From your other post:

Quote:
I had a look at Fiverr. There's at least some high end talent on there, but not THE voice that would cause me to fork up $150 - $350. One guy has potential but doesn't want to lift a finger to record for me a demo of the type of voice that I'm looking for.
$150-$350 is very reasonable, especially without broadcast or commercial use licensing. And handing out free demo reads for prospective buyers on Fiverr is a losing ordeal. Does he have a basic, $5-10 gig? A few words, no usage licensing. Enough to know whether he has the voice you want. That’s a pretty cheap price to get a sample read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsvoicetalent View Post
I would love to find out more on how the voice over community is viewed by the people who pay our wages.
Like anywhere else in the industry, especially for freelancers, everybody wants something for nothing. Or for next to nothing.

I think this quote from the same post says a lot:

Quote:
What is it with voiceover artists? They're like dwarfs and studio teachers. They all seem to want to be paid top dollar.
People who make a living at this stuff have to... y’know... make a living. Like any freelance, you’re paying for the time, plus the overhead on the VO studio (whether a home studio or not), plus overhead to be able to do things like eat, pay bills, buy gas, and hopefully have expendable income on top of that. The things that any paying career would hopefully provide.

A good DP can be nearly $1500/day depending on the local market. And that doesn’t even include the camera. Gaffer? $750-ish. Audio? $500-700, plus $300 for a basic kit and additional $ for extras like extra wireless channels, camera hop, TC system with slate.

I get that you’re doing a YT video just for kicks. Is your YT channel monetized? It seems to me that you can pay a professional the professional rate to get professional results, or you can lowball it and understand that it’s a compromise between cost and quality.

Last edited by AcousticAl; 02-28-2019 at 02:45 PM.
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:00 AM   #25
Blade_Jones
Basic - Premiere Expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticAl View Post
I get that youíre doing a YT video just for kicks. Is your YT channel monetized? It seems to me that you can pay a professional the professional rate to get professional results, or you can lowball it and understand that itís a compromise between cost and quality.
At this point I'm way over budget. Gonna just use my own voice with a quality Yamaha SPX-90 harmonizer.
Fortunately I didn't have to hire any talent. Friends are doing the acting.
Monetized yes, but to earn $1,000 on YouTube you need about half a million views.