• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Real-life experience list for collaboration and consultation

Hoping this is helpful, thought it might be beneficial for members to post in a dedicated thread, a summary of what they think they are knowledgeable of so others can ask them questions to help ground their script. Clearly this forum is filled with members from many walks and experiences in life, that could help others write great scripts, develop characters grounded in some form or reality. A person's expertise can be defined in a number of different ways (ie. a lived experience, employment, cultural or geographical background etc.) sky's the limit!

In other words if you post that you have some form of awareness of "x" and someone has a script idea or character they are trying to flesh out more fully, which is related to "x", then people have a list here in this thread of people they can private message their questions to. Clearly no one has to post about themselves and ultimately, there is not much ability to prove a person has the knowledge base they say they have.

The last and most important point I wanted to put out there, are for all to be respectful to not use this thread to poach or fish original ideas from others to use as their own. I am hoping a spirit of friendly collaboration will be utilized in consulting with others to make great scripts even better! If this thread is popular, maybe it can get pinned to the top of the Screenwriting topics list.

Getting the ball rolling...

I grew up on a dairy farm and have significant life experience of farm life/work, in general. I was also home-schooled and have spent years of work as an addiction counselor which is my current career to date. If anyone wants to consult with me, I am a private message away!

No idea what you mean but ok, I like playing along.

I'm an expert on EENDAG. Anything you see in EENDAG and have questions about it, ask and I might answer. Not everything has answers and for some things I'd have to cross the boundaries of reality for answers, but I'll do my best.

I might get your input on this, Miked: For years, I've had a terrible chocolate addiction. Still do, except now I only eat quality chocolates. It used to be quantity that mattered, with really terrible effects on my health. I process sugar very badly. It changes my personality into psycho depressor.

And yet, I'd buy chocolates by the bags full and eat it all, asif it's a mountain before me that I must consume as soon as possible. I wish I wouldn't.

Any ideas on how to make sure to keep an addiction under control? I've tried going cold turkey, except it's chocolate I craved, not turkey. I also tried stopping completely, but that didn't last long because abstaining from chocolate for a while just makes it taste even better.

Dairy farm sounds cool. Can you make ice cream?

Oh hold on. I got what you meant now. I found this thread from the main page and only understood when I saw it's under Screenwriting.

You want to like let people give a more in depth realistic example of what characters such as themselves are like, so screenwriters can use their lives as characters for their stories.

Well nobody would want to write me into their stories so I'll bow out gracefully now. Cheers, hopefuls!

Thanks for the posts, MooiTV.com. To clarify my rationale for this thread, I wouldn't describe it as taking people's experiences and then taking that and creating a character, more like having a character and fleshing that character out with more info that pertains to the character/script. For example, and this is specific to my experiences with farmers, that they all wear immaculate overalls. Most farmers often wear simple work pants, certainly some overalls, but it is rare for them to be spotless! A rounding out of a character is the hope.

British chess championship prizewinner, won English U16 team championships (playing for Middlesex) and therefore hate most chess scenes in movies. Luke Cage's chess scenes look OKish at a glance. Bizarrely, also played rugby which I preferred to chess. Enjoyed it a lot more but was much better at chess.

Judo: Did a little of that.

Office: Sat in an office in a few, different countries (UK and France mainly). I'm a fluent French speaker, partly educated in France I'm also half-Chinese.

Among other things, I play classical piano and ride motorcycles. Basically, I'm weird.

Help yourself.

Last edited:
I think this thread is a great idea! Umm, I'm not sure which things about me to include that someone might want perspective on for writing a character.

My educational background is in anthropology, with a focus on primatology. Remember that scene in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, when some business man in a suit refers to one of the chimps as a "monkey", and then the research assistant gets all pissed off and says, "It's not a monkey it's an ape!" Haha, they nailed it. Primatologists totally get pissed off when anyone refers to an ape as a monkey.

I was a wedding singer for a few years. Modestly successful lounge act. Got into that band by way of the fact that I'm a classically trained singer. Before switching to anthropology I was a music major, sang in university choral and stuff.

In my younger twenties, I was pretty deep into the "jock" culture. Played lots of sports, surrounded by homophobia, being homophobic myself, painting faces and getting all drunk and rowdy at sporting events. I definitely know that subculture.

Oh, and restaurant work. The overwhelming majority of movies that have restaurant scenes, trying to show the employee's perspective, get it horribly wrong. This is something I've discussed with coworkers and we're all in agreement. It's almost always obvious that the screenwriter has never worked in a restaurant and didn't do any research, just relying on stereotypes. The only movies, off the top of my head, that really get it right -- Ratatouille, Office Space, Waiting.

So, if you have even a single scene that is restaurant worker related, please consult me. I'm very tired of seeing the same BS.

Oh, wait -- Antihero! That's another movie that gets the restaurant employee experience right, haha!

EDIT: Also, I was once hardcore Catholic. No joke, there was a time when I gave serious thought to priesthood. I know that religion pretty well.

Last edited:
58284552.jpg

Back