• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Am i stupid?

Hey there,

I am a 15 Year old pupil from London, thinking about filming a second world war movie. Of course, I would have 18 Years and over superviseres on set. Do you think I could pull this off?

Is there a chance that i am just not realising how hard it actually is?

What more can I add to the list here:

Location (thinking Wales)
Props (Uniforms, guns, cars....)
Makeup
Special Effects
Many Actors
Many helpers

And then the usual..

We're all stupid, you're in good company. If you look at the difficulty of what we're trying to do as filmmakers, you would never get into it... but the challenge is addictive. You never learn unless you fail. And you can't fail without trying - go for it!

Shooting in Wales? Recipe for disaster :)

On a different note: It's not impossible, but this is definitely not the easiest choice for your first film.

If you are learning about the filmmaking process then you want the least distracting and pressure strewn environment possible and so I can't really think of a worse set on which to learn about the ins and outs of filmmaking than one for World War Two...

Hi Phil. Do you have a good script, a clear vision and a solid plan? As Knightly said everyone who wants to do this is kind of stupid and you will learn heaps. I'm sure if you post more details of your film you'll get plenty of great advice here.
I look forward to seeing the result in the screening room.

You are only stupid if you don't try.
You will only know if you can pull it off if you try.

Is there a chance that i am just not realising how hard it actually is?
Yes. It is an absolute that you do not realize how hard it actually is.
There in NO WAY you can know how hard this will be to do.

What more can I add to the list here:

Location (thinking Wales)
Props (Uniforms, guns, cars....)
Makeup
Special Effects
Many Actors
Many helpers

And then the usual..
Before I can add to your list, that is "the usual"?

By asking this question, you have told me you have questions about your own abilities, and answered a few of my qualifying questions I always ask of a production.

If you just asked me to suggest where you could get in the UK:

Props (especially weapons)
Vehicles
Actors
Locations

I would be saying, "hey, let's take this PM and I will assist you however I can."

But because you really don't believe in your own ability, I am skeptical as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, Cracker. Trying to impart a life-long lesson to this self-professed young film-maker.

First, believe in your project. If you doubt it, so will everyone else.

Second, if you don't believe in it, don't admit to it. Or find some other topic.

Third. Re-read points one and two.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:
Yeah, Cracker. Trying to impart a life-long lesson to this self-professed young film-maker.

First, believe in your project. If you doubt it, so will everyone else.

Second, if you don't believe in it, don't admit to it. Or find some other topic.

Third. Re-read points one and two.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Aha! I see where you're coming from, and I believe you've hit the nail on the head. The leader of the project definitely needs to project enthusiasm and a strong belief that it can and will be done. Cheers to that! Enthusiasm is infectious.

Phil_UK, if you decide to believe in your own project, let me know. I will refer you to some great UK production people that can possibly help you and I will give you an introduction. I am in touch with the exact people you are needing for this. But you have to believe in your project 110% and see it through. If not, I can't and won't assist.

Let me know when you really believe in the magic of film-making (age has no affect if it is a good script). I will be on the sidelines waiting.

Last edited:
Isn’t it interesting how we each interpret a question?

I read Phil’s question and think it means he’s ready to jump in.
Indie-Arms reads it and thinks he is questioning his abilities and
might not believe in the project 100%.

Same question - different understand of the question.

Can you do this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-ZmwATS8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-ZmwATS8E

Pretty much just begin by "screwing around" with the equipment you have with the friends you have in the environments you have available.
Make some shorts.
See what looks like cr@p, what doesn't.
Try to recreate a few scenes by reverse engineering what you can watch over and over on DVD.
Get real familiar with your equipment (camera, mics, editing) and learn it's limitations so that you can exploit them.

Gopherit. But don't quit your day job. ;)

Last edited:
Hey

Thanks for all these answers..

I laughed at: "Don't quit your day job"... I wish I had a day job :D
Well, I have loads and loads of buddys who play airsoft, so Ill get on some large private land and film some stuff to just try out. I am watching Band of Brothers over and over again. I think i watched the whole series 4 times now ;)
The thing I am not to sure about is, not many people, and I am not talking about the forum members, trust a young guy...
I would really like to create something great with arms.. I will have my Dad and big brother on set, but they wont organize everything.
I don't have a script at hand yet, but I got some Ideas flowing.

I'd like to concentrate on the american side, but there is so much to do, costumes, weapons, set dressing, vehicles... That just doesn't fit my budget, so I have to see.

I would be up for it any day!!

Back