All finished, but ...

Hypothetical scenario -

Feature is all done.

Have made real effort with all paperwork and think done okay. Actors and crew - paperwork in place, everyone signed contracts. Permits were gained and all locations signed releases. Permissions of copyrighted products (book covers, piece of music) all sought and in place.

Don't have errors and omissions insurance ... but speaking to insurance company and sorting that.

Couple of crowd shots and don't have signed releases from everyone as it was simply impractical - but did put signs up saying 'Film In Progress' etc and took photos to prove that. Couple of car registration plates were annoyingly visible, so have blurred them.

Have made some DVD's with nice boxes and professional looking sleeves.

Got a couple of nice quotes about film from couple of famous people.

What else do I need to do before approaching distributor at film market? :huh: People's experiences much appreciated.

That's very interesting.

Question - what do people think is the best route to distribution these days? I'm not that sure how Amazon, etc works. I always figured you make something and sell it to someone who then sells it onwards and if you're lucky you either get quite a nice sum upfront or perhaps even better some sort of residuals down the road. Is self distribution better?

I think that distributors work if you have a name already and if your feature is really good. If not, or if you are unlucky, then you have to go your own way. So try to build an audience as soon as possible, ideally from the developing phase. I have seen works that got distributed in the USA independently and got a great deal of attention just because the product was good and because the producer/director made a great job in finding its audience.
I give you an example: check out www.singingrevolution.com It is a documentary about a very niche subject, the transition period of Estonia from the Soviet to the Republic, so not what I would call a box office movie.
Well, if you type the singing revolution in Google you get a great deal of sites talking about it, they got a full review in the New York Times!, the documentary has been screened all over the US and across Europe, the director told me they estimate the documentary was watched by more then 1 million people.

Can you distribute your movie without a classical distribution deal? I think you can.

Question - what do people think is the best route to distribution these days? I'm not that sure how Amazon, etc works. I always figured you make something and sell it to someone who then sells it onwards and if you're lucky you either get quite a nice sum upfront or perhaps even better some sort of residuals down the road. Is self distribution better?
Distributors are so 1995...
http://www.microfilmmaker.com/tipstrick/Issue18/selfdist.html
http://www.yourinvestmentadvise.com/filmmaking.htm

http://www.createspace.com is a great distributor. I use it to distribute the books I wrote. Its owned by Amazon. They also print, package, and ship it. All you have to do is promote. They also only take a 15% royalty on sales + $5. They also offer discount code set up so you can offer discounts on bulk orders. The best part is... no upfront money is required.

Back